fav or best poppers estuary fishing

bulldogs195461

still havent tried poppers but have brought a pink r2sea pink 45 with feathers i think.thought id perhaps get a couple more so im prepared,so any advice type ,colour size etc would be great.im land-based and mainly chase bream,flatties etc around goldy an ballina.still very new to fishing.also on the r2sea i brought whats the tail thing for?regards john

G'day Mate, welcome to the site. I have had some wins lately using poppers for GT's. River2Sea bubble pops have been going well, in gold and darker colours, depending on the time of day. I am also a recent convert of the Ecogear PX45, which work well on bream. Bream seem to be pretty similar to bass with regards to surface lures, where I have found that a very subtle retrieve works better than a bold retrieve, as they get spooked pretty easily. Other than that, there are a myriad of surface lures out there, and I have found that it is more the retrieve, rather than any particular brand of popper/surface lure, that determines getting the fish. Trial and error is how I generally work things out lol.

Cheers,

Ryan.

R2S bubble pop works a treat, ive caught heaps of trevs on them but yet to land a bream on one..

Damiki D-Pop has been having epic success with even jacks falling to this surface lure!

I'm just getting into walk the dog style lures and to be honest i love them, awsome fun to work and seems to attract all the estuary species - look into luckycraft sammy's; i use a 65 size =] or megabass dogxjnr

Ryan is on the money mate, trial and error is the key to surface success :)

My fav popper for bream has got to be the Bubble pop 45 (clear with white/red head), 4 or 5 sharp pops but not aggresive pause and repeat generally works but mix it up a bit. With the feathers on the back treble I trim them to about half way, so I get less bream eating the feathers but finding the hooks.

As for walking lures, my favs include, Sammy 65 (bubble bee), Megabass dogXjnr (green/purple) and the Bushies top dog (phantom). I have caught bream, trevally, whiting, saratoga and jacks on these lures and generally use them before using a popper.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC7tPSJ1_CU

This yank has some good info on technique.

Yep i agree with what was said above with action most of the time being more important then brand or style. That being said some brands are more forgiving then others if you are starting out, and all of the above brands mentioned make pretty solid surface lures, so you won't go wrong if your using any of them.

In addition to finding what retrieves work it also helps to know the areas your fishing and what times of day / tides / temperatures and seasons are best for specific species. And then varying how you use your surface lures accordingly. So i suppose it comes back to what the other guys said that it can be a lot of trial and error, the good thing being that in some respects it's not an exact science which leaves room for plenty of experimentation.

• 5 weeks later...

I like the Lucky Craft Sammy and the Bevy (can't remember the rest).

I find the sammy can be difficult to put a good action on when new to the game, the bevy one is awesome.

I find rather then making big loud bloops with poppers, I like to do a series of smaller bloops followed by a pause.

I've had success with bubblepop lures, a gold underside and reddish brown upper, bought a 65 and a 45 in the same colour and has caught me a fair few fish. I agree that bream definitely hit a popper more readily when you just twitch it and try to keep it up against the mangrove roots much as possible.

My pick for bream is the bubble pop 35 in the clear/yellow.... quite small and you really need light tackle to be able to use it properly (same as the ecogear px-45). The gear would need to be a 2500 size real or smaller and no heavier than a 2-5kg rod.. otherwise you just won't get the casting distance.

But, with the smaller sized poppers like the above I find that a short string of about 5 small, erratic pops, pause, then maybe 2 or 3 pops, then 5 again get the bream firing. The smaller profile doesn't spook them at all.

It is my go to popper for bream, anyday.

For trevs and bigger fish, the bigger 45 size poppers and 65 size walkers are the best.

I believe the feather bit helps keep the lure straight, keep the tail down on a pause and its a bit of a colour flash as well.

• 10 months later...

Archived