Rapists!!!!!!!

kiwifisho

Firstly if you call the Fishwatch number 1800 017116 and give them the relevent details of such activity it is logged and will be followed up, the more information you give the better ie time, exact location, rego number etc. The more calls that are made the better.

Spend a lot of time on the river myself as I am involved in stocking, managing the fishery and various other reasearch projects.

It is not only the "white bucket brigade" who blatantly disregard the regulations.

Your last comment is very true Steve.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fisheries just gave me a call to let me know they gave out infringments this morning. I for one am pretty stoked with this, hopefully it will deter some of these individuals in the future.

For anyone who has missed the number previously, here is a bump for fish-watch 1800 017 116, all up, it takes about five minutes to go through the information with them.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Excellent work to all those who have contacted the authorities.It's good that they got them but as I read in this months Modern Fishing it doesn't always stop them as there is an article in there where a bloke was busted 3 times within 18 months in Victoria for various offences so although we have had a result, we all must remain vigilant against these people and their flagrant disregard for the laws regarding fishing.

Hulk

Mate when i went to somerseat dam a few months ago there was this dredful smell at the boat ramp, so i went over to the bid to investigate and there were a half a dozen small undersized bass in there. what is this all about. i mean who catches a bass and then puts it in the bid. that is just wrong

It's possible someone had collected dead ones from the shoreline. Not all fish survive a release. :)

Well done Ryan, as you said only takes a few minutes to go through the details, it is all logged and in confidence.

cheers,

Steve.

Lol, all in-confidence, until you put it up on a public forum with an imaginative username like mine ha ha ha :silly: :lol::P !!!

Well done Ryan - I have just put the number in the phone. Hope the impounded the vehicle.

you shold have sliped a bit of rat poison it it when they were not looking LOL

when i wsas at bongary jetty the other day the was this guy whoi had a under size flathead which was about 20cm long and about 4 bream which were all under size and then he had the cheek to ask to borrow my pliersLOL

Cheers Corey

ps i did't give him the pliers

Well done Ryan and fisheries.

People are quick to bag them but they cannot be everywhere at once

.Cheers

Ray

Agree Ray. As an authority these guys must be spread bloody thin!

Good on you Ryan.

Consistant calls about reaccurring offenses would most likely be looked into with more readyness so I think these calls are worth making whether your specific call is the one followed up or not.

Angus

just spoke to someone i know and they were down there yesterday afternoon and one of them had 2 full buckets so off he walked and called fish watch and the fish watch guy asked what they looked like all he said was older and asian and fish watch guy finished of glasses what colour shirt long paints and then said this morning him and his mate $5000.00 fines that morning if that doesnt stop the maybe take there cars of them. and another story is there is a chinese shop at chermside that has live bass in a tank and you can choose the one you want.

Tim

Here's a copy of an email I just sent to the local news paper for the area (Northern Times) via their website.

Perhaps if more concerned fishos contact them they might do a story on the problem and help educate the public.

" The recent opening of the flood gates at North Pine Dam has populated the local streams with heaps of Australian Bass and Yellowbelly (amongst others species), this area has been a great spot for local sport fishermen to chase these iconic native fish, and then releasing them to fight another day.

Unfortunately there has been quite a bit of activity from individuals and groups, (mainly, but not all Asian migrants) who are taking well and truly over their bag limits, as well as small fish of all breeds. To those who frequent this area it is not unusual to see the same groups there day after day breaking the bag limit laws continually.

There have been threats of violence to both person and property as concerned fishermen confront these offenders.

I feel that it would be in the public interest for this matter to be investigated and these illegal activities exposed. A good dose of education would also be helpful letting the public know of bag limits, size restrictions and closed seasons so less people can claim ignorance as a defence.

Please act on this information before things get further out of hand and both our fish stocks and law abiding fishermen suffer any more. "

Do you reckon I'll get a response?

rocket

Nothing racist about my post pat2010 and I'm not sure how it could be construed as such, I'm simply stating facts as I know them.

As I stated in that post and others before, we have people from all segments of our community willing to break the bag limits and size restrictions. In my eyes they are all as bad as one-another.

Sure, take a feed by all means.

By law you can have two legal bass per fisherman and up to 5 yellowbelly.

That allows for those that want to provide for their family.

I don't care who you are or where you're from, the law is the law.

Is it being "soft" to expect laws to be respected and followed? I don't think so.

Yes it is true, there are bigger, nastier problems in the world, but this is an important issue locally.

You are as welcome to your opinion as anyone, but please refrain from name calling and personal attacks.

MOD NOTE

The posts to which Rocket is responding have been removed as they are from a serial pest whom many here are familiar with.

Nothing racist about my post pat2010 and I'm not sure how it could be construed as such, I'm simply stating facts as I know them.

As I stated in that post and others before, we have people from all segments of our community willing to break the bag limits and size restrictions. In my eyes they are all as bad as one-another.

Sure, take a feed by all means.

By law you can have two legal bass per fisherman and up to 5 yellowbelly.

That allows for those that want to provide for their family.

I don't care who you are or where you're from, the law is the law.

Is it being "soft" to expect laws to be respected and followed? I don't think so.

Yes it is true, there are bigger, nastier problems in the world, but this is an important issue locally.

You are as welcome to your opinion as anyone, but please refrain from name calling and personal attacks.

MOD NOTE

The posts to which Rocket is responding have been removed as they are from a serial pest whom many here are familiar with.

I congratulate Rocket for his efforts as I know that he as well as many other law abiding fishos do do the right thing, the more exsposure these ratbags get and the more they get shamed may make a difference. Also I would like to thank the Mods (footnote) for getting on top of these (re pat2010) pests. These type of people are the reason that I and Im sure many other people dont contribute as much as we would like to the AFO site, Cheers to u Mods :cheer:

Kiwi ;)

..... I congratulate Rocket for his efforts as I know that he as well as many other law abiding fishos do do the right thing, the more exsposure these ratbags get and the more they get shamed may make a difference. Also I would like to thank the Mods (footnote) for getting on top of these (re pat2010) pests. These type of people are the reason that I and Im sure many other people dont contribute as much as we would like to the AFO site, Cheers to u Mods :cheer:

Kiwi ;)

It's like the terrorists, kiwi....don't let 'em win. There's more good than bad.

Well done Rod! I think I will take a leaf out of your book and send a similar gripe to The Queensland Times because of similar reasons. Last weekend at Mt Crosby there where 2 guys in yaks trolling the area between the old and new weirs and the closed waters sign is clearly visible - not sure if they got anything but the complete disregard for the law is appalling. That along with the other "things" I pointed out in my earlier post in this thread. I know I sound like a broken record but this is my "home turf" that I take pride in looking after and respecting and others come along and seemingly willingly destroy it. :( I know the majority that fish it do the right thing and I know other AFO'ers fish these waters too and appreciate what it has to offer.....

Good on the mods too for dealing with the serial pest too - I witnessed his rampage last night for the 1st time - seems the guy has nothing better to do than to sh@t on everyone else.... must be a lonely existence.

..... I congratulate Rocket for his efforts as I know that he as well as many other law abiding fishos do do the right thing, the more exsposure these ratbags get and the more they get shamed may make a difference. Also I would like to thank the Mods (footnote) for getting on top of these (re pat2010) pests. These type of people are the reason that I and Im sure many other people dont contribute as much as we would like to the AFO site, Cheers to u Mods :cheer:

Kiwi ;)

It's like the terrorists, kiwi....don't let 'em win. There's more good than bad.

So true Ellicat :) I know the majority are good decent blokes, I just dont like the ones that always bag or whinge about wateva anyone does,I can think of one in particular without mentioning names. Maybe I will start contributing more and see wat comes of it.

Kiwi ;)

:woohoo: Just had a nice long chat with a reporter from the pine rivers press.

Seems the Editor is keen to do a story for this weeks edition, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

If anyone wants to provide info to the reporter PM me and I'll give you the contact details for the reporter.

Anyone who lives in the area, please let me know if you see the story in the paper.

rocket

Well done Rocket.Hopefully the journalist reports on the facts and doesn't manipulate what you say to have us fishos shown in a poor light.Might be good to mention PRFMA or contact them to voice an opinion about responsible fishos volunteering their times to restock local fisheries only to have their hard work undone by selfish self centred people who put themselves above the law and all others.(some sort of wording along those lines too so it shows there are good fishos out there as well) It may be worth a punt.Keep up the top notch work mate.

Hulk

Its great how one post got such a snowball effect. Good on u Rod i hope this gets others thinking about how their unlawfull fishing acts are effecting not only the fishery but all the other fishos that are doing the right thing. I hate to say it but if things dont change down there I can see trouble happening and thats the last thing anybody wants.

Kiwi ;)

Well this issue has made it to the front page of this weeks Pine Rivers Edition of the Northern Times!

Story is titled "Rod Rage" and highlights the issue of illegal fishing activities in the area and the fallout from it.

I had a quick read online, they have used some quotes from AFO and myself as well as the PRFMA.

They did make note that not all anglers were doing the wrong thing and it definitly was not an anti-fishing piece, which is really great.:cheer:

Fisheries did make a comment to the journalist, but the size of the fines mentioned was only $400...no mention of the bigger fines we heard of last week.

Would have been nice to see some more educational information included telling people of bag limits and size restrictions, but at least the issue has got some publicity and this may make the Fisheries take more of a pro-active role in policing the area.

I think good on you Rod. The best thing we can do is educate.

There are a few people around who automatically think each and every person should be born with all knowledge of fishing and all things fishing (although I am sure they were not :P ). This leads to an assumption that all those doing the wrong thing are doing so on purpose. Now dont get me wrong, I am as sure as most of you that a lot of people do do so knowingly, but I believe there are those that just dont know better and would reform with proper knowledge.

After all, if someone moves to this country and wants a drivers license, they do still need to pass a test. If they want to fish, they just need to buy a rod!

Angus

just been doining a bit of googling but i cant find what iam after.

are we allowed to make a citizens arrest.? or not really?

if its somebody breaking the law on the streets citizens have the right to detain the offender with out being violent or using unnessary restraints until the appropriate athourities arrive to handle the situation.

iam just curious on where we stand in this situation thats all.i ve heard of some pretty wacky talk from other fishos down the river latly

cheers mick

if its somebody breaking the law on the streets citizens have the right to detain the offender with out being violent or using unnessary restraints until the appropriate athourities arrive to handle the situation.

iam just curious on where we stand in this situation thats all.i ve heard of some pretty wacky talk from other fishos down the river latly

cheers mick

just read what i wrote it sounds like i want to go out and jump on anybody breaking the law :lol: :lol:

no its not like that its just that there is alot of talk between fishos on the bank down the river. and some want to take the law into there own hands there is talk of making a citizens arrest. was wondering if doining this is with in the law, i cant believe the tension in the air that has been created over all of this.

cheers mick

You can have a read of Chapter 58 of Criminal Code 1899

Personaly I think its fraught with danger, and therefore suggest you gather evidence and pass it to someone other than me :-)

I guess one way of looking at this whole thing is the bass simply won't last long in these areas, they are what they are...turkey shoot bass, easy pickings. The areas get flogged, and hard.

The dams they come from provide more of a challenge so they are safe, well safer because I know that a lot of us have seen the WBB harvesting the dams as well....but they don't take the numbers like they do in these creeks.

When these escapee bass are gone, the WBB will go away. I've seen this cycle a few times.

Hundreds of fish will leave in white buckets, a few fines will be handed out and the world will go on.

The worrying thing is, where will they go next ?

you referring to the upper bris river Mick? same probs we are having at the pine?

yeah mate the wbb are at crosby fernvale savages crossing pretty much at every popular spot, you just gotta go walkin the banks and you will come accross em. the most popular spot for em atm is o'rielys weir near lowood. there using big landing nets and scooping the fish ladder that is flowing from lockyer creek. wont be long now before the blokes on the local farms start shooting them up.it is really that serious some of the young burley blokes (and there big boys) i have met out there you could almost class as american rednecks there behaviour is obserd .i have avoided the place the last week or so its a pretty isolated area and i dont want to be in the right place fishing at the wrong time. :( not happy days out there thats for sure.

you referring to the upper bris river Mick? same probs we are having at the pine?

yeah mate the wbb are at crosby fernvale savages crossing pretty much at every popular spot, you just gotta go walkin the banks and you will come accross em. the most popular spot for em atm is o'rielys weir near lowood. there using big landing nets and scooping the fish ladder that is flowing from lockyer creek. wont be long now before the blokes on the local farms start shooting them up.it is really that serious some of the young burley blokes (and there big boys) i have met out there you could almost class as american rednecks there behaviour is obserd .i have avoided the place the last week or so its a pretty isolated area and i dont want to be in the right place fishing at the wrong time. :( not happy days out there thats for sure.

may be now is the time, for people who have witnessed the WBB in action, to start calling the office of their local members of parliament asking what will be done about the situations that are occurring, and inform them that a local paper has run the story on their front page.

Who knows,there may be a polly who wants some Xmas time publicity for his resume.

Archived