mackerel mania

tugger

Went down the gold coast on friday with a couple fo fellow afo members to hit up some mackerel on the palm beach reef. I met shane and nathan in the ealry morning darkness then got the boat headed towards the bar in currumbin ck, it was nearing high water so this made the bar good to jump. We travelled all of 5 minutes from the bar then anchored and had baits in the water before 5am i could see other boats already fighting good fish.

It was only minutes after baiting up before we were strugling to keep up with fish as they were hitting everything out including the silver slugs we were throwing at them. Shane and nathan had a couple of spotty macks each from the lures and i lost a few on baits before i finally got 1 in. There were lines crossed each time the fish came through and hooked up but it was sorted with out much trouble.

Towards the end i hooked up to a little cobia on one of the pilchard baits that took off on the surface with it's fins slicing the top of the water. It seemed all the boats out there got there share as well as we could hear drags all morning from them. The boys had a good time and we pulled the pin early around 9am with 6 spotties and the cobia for our eforts. The best spotty went 90cm and the cobia 92cm with the rest of the spotties in the high 80's

post-4390-144598554308_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598554314_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598554319_thumb.jpg

there is enough water through till 2 hours before low water on a large tide which we had 3 days before the new moon and it was a simple crossing back in on the ebb tide with us sitting on the back of a wave , what size boat do you have?

as mine is a 5.4m cuddy cab tinnie with a 90hp which gives me a good take off speed for the bar

great stuff mark....cant wait to get amongst some mackeral myself this summer! howd you find the currumbin bar....is it really shallow even at high tide? how was it on the way back through?

Zane

there is enough water through till 2 hours before low water on a large tide which we had 3 days before the new moon and it was a simple crossing back in on the ebb tide with us sitting on the back of a wave , what size boat do you have?

as mine is a 5.4m cuddy cab tinnie with a 90hp which gives me a good take off speed for the bar

great stuff mark....cant wait to get amongst some mackeral myself this summer! howd you find the currumbin bar....is it really shallow even at high tide? how was it on the way back through?

Zane

I recently bought a 5.7 metre trailcraft sportscab with a 140hp johnson (suzuki) four stroke....boat would handle it easily i know but just havnt had time to get it out into the open water yet due to some family issues of late, am itching to get out there but!

Do you still have to hug the rockwall the whole way around down there?

Tacklebox and I were seduced by tales of glassy conditions and big fish. Our resolve crumbled and we decided to join Tugger at Palm Reefk for a session of Gold Coast Mackerel instead of joining the rest of you at the AFO Christmas party.

So conditions might have been glassy and calm on the Friday but Saturday looked more like this -

post-2889-14459855528_thumb.jpg

Try as we might the fish weren't cooperating and it feels like I haven't caught anything in a month of Sundays. So while Tugg was pulling in a couple of decent decent Bream on an unweighted pilly -

post-2889-144598555288_thumb.jpg

I decided that I should have a go myself, if Bream was what we were after we'd have been pretty happy, most went to the high 20s early 30s. I also managed one of the giant Moses Perch Pussca had in his recent Bush and Beach article -

post-2889-144598555296_thumb.jpg

A session on a reef wouldn't be complete without a bastard Scorpionfish (expertly caught in the arse) or 2.

post-2889-144598555303_thumb.jpg

Just to prove that even in the most unpleasant conditions he can still pull in a good size fish,Tugg drags in a Mack Tuna - realises its a Mack Tuna and sends it back to the deep.

post-2889-144598555309_thumb.jpg

tBox was burleying a bit too much by this time, so we decided to head ashore and cut our losses. As per usual it was (conditions aside) good to see the lad again and wish him a Happy Birthday for next week - I can't remember mate 51 or 52 this year?

Sorry mate I'll write that a bit louder for you: Happy Birthday for next week - I can't remember mate 51 or 52 this year?

PS good to finally meet Mr Pom as well, or can I call you "Bri the"?

Likewise Guys, You can call me any of those, Ive been called worse, Bri will do. After the cricket the names will start again,oh dear.

Sounds like I made the best move by leaving currumbin and headed in to the seaway, had the place to myself. Lost a good jewie or two,not sure.

I have it on youtube but don't know how to add it, called seaway double hook up & loss. 2 rods going off at the same time.

Until next time.

Bri.

Archived