Grab bags

AZZA

After reading about the guys that abandon ship in the north last weekend when there cat took on water it got me to wondering who has a grab bag with survival gear and where is it stowed.

I have one that is next to the Epirb which is at the helm. In the bag I have the Standard safty gear plus some sun screen, hats and drinking water .

Any body got any other hints on what to stow in the grab bag?
/>http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/12/06/190121_news.html

In mine Aaron I carry one of the waterproof bags, a small bag with spare batteries AAA, AA, and C cells, and I have a spare headlamp and I bought off Ebay a strobe light that is light sensative that attaches to a vest or floats, Only $17. The regular safety gear and I've put the flares into a plastic container with a screw top lid so its waterproof.

i have considered buying a hand held 5 watt vhf marine radio. for the grab bag. the thing is i think it would be a waist of money for me cause i dont reckon i would ever use it as i always use the 27 meg in the boat. . so the hand held would ptetty much just live in the grab bag although for that one time that it could get used it may save a life more than likly my own so getting one is worth every cent. so i have been looking at the lowrance hand helds hpfully santa is watching :laugh: .

i have considered buying a hand held 5 watt vhf marine radio. for the grab bag. the thing is i think it would be a waist of money for me cause i dont reckon i would ever use it as i always use the 27 meg in the boat. . so the hand held would ptetty much just live in the grab bag although for that one time that it could get used it may save a life more than likly my own so getting one is worth every cent. so i have been looking at the lowrance hand helds hpfully santa is watching :laugh: .

Mick is that the one that has a GPS function and will that one transmits your location ? Good value I wonder if it would be better than a PLB?

yeah thats sounds like the model i was lookin at. theres so many to choose from aye.

most are running li-ion batts with some sort of energy save mode in built in them to extend the batery time and life.

just somthing else to remeber is that its a vhf and iam almost certain you need to do the coarse and aquire the licence to legally opperate one.

Thanks guys good idears there will add them to my bag I think. You should have a certificat of compantancy ( dont need to be able to spell though) to operate a VHF radio but no body has ever been prosacuted for operating a vhf with out one as because it is considered a good piece of safty kit it would be counter productive to enforce the rule. Yor can tell that I have been at the Cowboys footy club on the boo hiss by the spelling and the way this post rambles a bit

Thanks guys good idears there will add them to my bag I think. You should have a certificat of compantancy ( dont need to be able to spell though) to operate a VHF radio but no body has ever been prosacuted for operating a vhf with out one as because it is considered a good piece of safty kit it would be counter productive to enforce the rule. Yor can tell that I have been at the Cowboys footy club on the boo hiss by the spelling and the way this post rambles a bit

Noo wai Axza, ur spalling lux orite

Jsurfing the sites and saw that Whitworths are selling a PLB (personal Locater Beacon) for $439:00 some other places are selling the same model for over $500. its accurate to about 45metres and has a strobe light and GPS which updates regularly. Yachties attach them to thier life vests. I suppose if your'e in the drink hopefully with your vest on they would be great, most sinking I've read the Epirb's havent been deployed or the persons haven't used them properly.

Wonder if anybody on the site uses one especially the yakkers.:whistle:

Archived