Pinkenba Sharking

RUSSIAN

Hi all, am planning to go for a shark fishing session on sunday down @ the poop shoot, the aim is the 8.46pm low. Now, just 1 quick question, i'm gonna paddle out the baits on a kayak, and how do i keep the bait on the bottom with out floating away with the current??? Do i attach a brick 2 the line or something??

Will post a report, and all replys will be very much appreciated!

cheers ant:silly: :silly: :silly:

ps, i am landbased, other wise, i wouldn't really hav this problem!

will a brick do the same thing................

anyway with the sandbag, does it detach when u hav hooked on 2 a shark??

also, when the shark tries 2 move off with the bait, if it feels heaviness, bcoz of the brick, sandbag, or rock, will it drop the bait??sorry if i am asking 2many questions, i just love learning......

Honestly, I would try a 'running' weight that allows the leader to float up from the weight, into the current; or alternatively a weighted-free leader under a balloon. Either way, the result should be to keep a moving bait off the bottom on the outflow or you'll probably end up with rays instead. .;)

The Pinkenba area sounds like an ideal spot to target for sharks, so good luck. B)

Yeah, been down 2 pinkenba before, u know the jetty type thing that you can't go on, will be fishing there. The bait- i'm going to have out 3 rods,1 with whole eel, whole approx 50cm mullet, and a bit slab of shovel nose.

Got a tld 20 spooled with 50lb braid and 80lb leader.

Penn 330 gti with 50lb braid and 80lb leader and a pelagic omoto II speed spooled with 55lb mono and 80lb leader. That should be enough I think:P

You ever fish there anymore Terry?

To be honest mate, I've never fished there much. With the exception of February last year when I was doing a bit of filming wither Jeremy Wade, I've only fished that spot 3 times, for 2 sharks, and one lost shark.

The place can be very deadly on gear.

I do intend to fish there again soon. But the problem is you need to be able to just about skull drag a shark in, and then hope to hell you avoid the 1001 potential objects that can break your line.

I didn't land a fish in the 2009 Brisbane River Classic because I fished too light (60lbs) and lost a good shark, of about 8-9ft right at the end. If was fishing a nice clean sandy place, like Moreton or Inskip or some other nice beach, I would have had absolutely no issues landing the shark. I have the whole thing on video, including the moment when you can just about see my heart shatter as the line gets cut.

It's an incredibly easy spot to set up, launch a kayak from and drop a bait out in. But that's where the nice easy parts stop.

I'm sure Faulked would probably agree here, but the location just has a number of challenges, including a hell of a lot of rocks and concrete slabs covered in barnicles, rock bars, beacons, a lot of boat activity and a very big, steep drop off to contend with.

Russian: Hope you don't mind using the kayak to paddle out there and be up close and personal with the sharks when trying to get them in ... :|

Although holding onto the trace with a 8' fork length shark on the end gives an adrenaline boost :laugh:

Yeah, i read ur report on texas shark fishing terry, that was 1 rippa of a shark!!!!!

Briss bass man- of course i use wire, just forgot to mention what kind of wire i'm gonna use. Will prob use 600lb wire trace rigged with 2 12/0 J style hooks.

also maybe 1 thing to think abot- what about having your bait sitting before the drop off:whistle: :whistle:

Cheers for the response.

I always wanted to have a shark session out there, but after reading your reports on texas shark fishing aswell(which were cool by the way), it sort of seemed a bit stupid for a beginner like myself to be out amongst all those obstacles (and the big sharks).

Cant believe how many nights you spent out there with Jeremy Wade, he was certainly keen!

id say the drop off is the biggest drama in landing anything

if you run out past the drop off use a baloon to keep your line up off the bottom tie a bit of 20lb to the bend in your hook then about 5 ft"keeps the bait out of the mud" to a sandbag or brick .

then wind up the rod in the holder till its tight i use about 5-10 lb drag

when the shark hits the bait its razor blade mouth slices thru the 20 and the wound up rod drags the hooks into the side of the mouth instant hook up

or fish on top of the drop off and try and stop them from going over use a lot of drag pressure and circle hooks and let them hook them selves

dont forget rod leashes

i have left a couple of secure rod holders they may still be there

my mate shawn should be going out there on sunday in his camper and a small inflatable if you see him say hi hes a friendly fellaand he won the classics shark catergory so definatley has the right idea

jason

Since on saturday pinkenba got absolutely hammed- rain wise, decided that i wanted the best possible chance, because i had awesome baits rigged and evrything was organised. So didn't go 2 pinkenba becoz of all of the fresh water and it would be 2 boggy down there. So decided 2 go down 2 logan river, took about 1 hour before go absoultely hammed, but no hook up:( . Then an hour later, got smashed again! But still no hook up, brought in the trace, and the shark had almost bitten through 100lb wire!! And by the wway, all the action was on the fresh water eel bait. I also had some pike eel out there, but didn't get touched!!! why didn't it get touched??? Any way, came home empty handed, sorry no pics fellas, forgot the camera. Am hoping 2 get down there again, probs on saturday mornin or something, any way, i just want 2 thank very1 who responded 2 this topic, hav gained alot of info

cheers ant:cheer : :cheer: :cheer:

Archived