PLB's (Personal Locater Beacons)

daveylad

Just wondered if anyone on the site has a PLB, looking at Whitworhs they are selling them on special for $439, other sites have them at over $500. I've read numerous reports and newpaper stories about sinkings and capsizes and the crew havent deployed their Epirb, the PLB can fit into a pocket or attach to a life vest so there is much more chance of it being with you in an emergency. They are also more more accurate than an one type of Epirbs that are not fitted with a GPS which is to within 5Klm, the Epirb with GPS is to within 120 metres.

The PLB's are supposbly accurate to within 45metres. I would think a Yekker would use one if they get far enough out to sea.

PLB's are not a substitute for EPIRBS.

If I somehow get inspected for safety equipment when I'm more than 2nm offshore, I will be okay, because I have a suitably registered EPIRB. I just put it in a dry bag and shove it up the back of the yak, along with a bunch of flares and don't suffer any storage capacity issues.

PLBs are not a substitute, and as such do not fill your legal requirements to have an EPIRB > 2nm offshore.

i know that Terry, I'm not talking about a replacement but an addition for safety reasons, what I was getting at is that most epirbs seem to get left behind on the boat when there is an emergency, I was wondering how many think that a PLB would be better for attaching to oneself in a pocket or to a vest as a compliment to an epirb which is usually attached to a fixture on a boat,

what I like about the PLB is that it can easily be carried an in an emergency it would be on a vest or one your person the last several stories I've read about boating accidents it appears the EPirb as been lef t behind and in one case the persons didnt know how to activate it properly.

Didn't know how to active it? I'm positive mine is just a flick of a switch? (After you twist and remove the safety bit which is there to prevent accidental switches. But that's clearly marked on the EPIRB)

EPIRBs aren't that big... they're fairly large I guess, but they float and mine has a cord attached to it which can easily be attached to a PFD. Given they float, they aren't going to weigh you down. Just tie it on and let it float around you.

I just think its very unlikely that I will need the EPIRB, and then even less likely that I won't be able to get it out in an emergency. Unless my kayak gets sliced in half and sinks immediately to the floor, in such a way that drags the air filled safety dry bag down with it.

Flick and switch is right that what they had and they had it with them in the water and if I remember right they were only doing the test not pushing it to the full activate position. I think it was a GME one too which is probably the most popular Gues they hadent read up how to use it properly. Also intersting was one story where the rescue Helicopter stated it couldnt see a strobe lights on vest unless they were over the top of the person, I suppose the carryin of a flare attached toa vest could overcome that or some other night aid.

Archived