Woody Point Jetty last night

Phoenixx

well as usual I couldn't sleep so i decided to go wet a line rather than playing fishing on the wii all night. chucked the gear into the car about 3am and headed the woody point jetty thinking there wouldn't be many ppl there at that time of the morning.

as I was walking to the end of the jetty to set up at my usual spot I passed about 12-15 rods no more than 20 mtrs from the tip of the jetty. I couldn't believe there were this many ppl here!!!

It wasn't until I got to the end that I saw only four asian blokes fishing another four rods off the end of the jetty. I stood amazed for a cpl of minutes that four blokes could be fishing 5 rods each plus the 3 crab pots they had over the side.

I decided against saying something when I didn't hear a word of english from them whilst I was standing there so i set up my gear and got my line in the water. In the 3 hours I fished there they pulled in approx 10 bream, 5 trevally and a cpl of small rays and not a single one of them would have been longer than 20cm. What shocked me the most is that the fish were all kept without even a second thought.

My anger at this stage was wearing very thin. they then checked their crab pots about 6ish and had 3 muddies in one of the pots. Decent size muddies too. went over to checkout the crabs and saw that two of them were female. Once again no thought was taken and all the crabs went straight into their bucket.

I'd had enough by this stage and packed up my stuff and left. It will definitely be the last time I use the jetty if this is the crap that goes on. Wish the more "popular" jetties for night time fishing could be policed a bit better during the night

I used to fish the sand pumping jetty at southport allot and the same thing used to happen without the crab pot. In the occasions that the fisheries did come along they would check there buckets and tip out the small dead fish over the hand rail (?). They would try talking to them but no english was spoken at the time, as soon as they'd leave they would laugh and carry on in a mix of engrish and whatever they spoke. I spoke to the fisheries once about why fines were not issued and they simply said, they don't speak english, there's not much we can do about it :angry: I spat the dummy at them and said it wasn't right how some of us do the right thing while the other half do what they please.

By all means mate have a go at dobbing them in but they won't do anything about it. Take your camera next time and photograph the scum with there buckets of fish and female crabs and all there rods to cause that's illegal too, then report them.

• 3 weeks later...

i quite regularly fish woody pt jetty and the amount of people that come down and take undersize fish is unbelievable.

No wonder fish stocks are being depleted fisheries needs to get out and bust these people.

Its just unlucky they cant afford to send crew out anymore as the budget is getting tighter!

cheers zac

• 1 month later...

I have seen fisheries walk straight past a group of Asian fishermen when they clearly had 4 bucket loads of undersize fish and they did nothing.

Instead they came upto us and demanded that we show them our rigs and bait we are using....

It truly pisses me off and its just unfair.

I have seen fisheries walk straight past a group of Asian fishermen when they clearly had 4 bucket loads of undersize fish and they did nothing.

Instead they came upto us and demanded that we show them our rigs and bait we are using....

I have had the opposite happen.

I just ring fisheries hotline and take photos only if i deem it safe.I reckon you are playing with fire if you attempt to confront.

Also it is not only Asians that flaunt the laws.I went for a walk along the breakwater at mouth of Weinam creek yesterday and there was 3 family groups there breaking laws re number of rods,using inverted dillys and guess what not one asian all aussies.

Hotline was also rung. Unforthunaly no patrols were in area.

Cheers

Ray

racist remarks have been removed as pointed out by offended members theres no room for that in the forum. before all the usual asian fisho slander starts again and arguements started as ray has pointed out people from all backgrounds break the rules ethnicity doesnt mean 5 fiths of you know what. guys please keep your posts with in the site rules .

cheers kriso

racist remarks have been removed as pointed out by offended members theres no room for that in the forum. before all the usual asian fisho slander starts again and arguements started as ray has pointed out people from all backgrounds break the rules ethnicity doesnt mean 5 fiths of you know what. guys please keep your posts with in the site rules .

cheers kriso

Very good point Kriso.

At no stage was my original post meant to be about having a go at the ethnicity of the people involved but more that fact that these rules are blatently being broken.

I have been to numerous occassions recently doing some night fishing and find that at the more popular spots there are ALOT of people breaking the laws from all backgrounds.

Being from NSW where the fishing licence laws have eliminated alot of this problem I am amazed at how often you see people breaking the law in QLD (although alot of fisherman still breaking the law in NSW).

I'm sure there is no 1 answer that will fix this problem and there will always be people breaking the rules whether it be undersize fish, mulitble rods or any other rule. My post was purely just to rant as my wife is sick of me complaining about fishing to her.

Archived