help with barra set up

Joel Eadie

hey guys im heading up to awoonga in january and was hoping to get a hand with choosing my set up.

i like to fish light but some how i dont think (and correct me if im wrong :P ) i should take up my 4lb set up.

i have been told to go no lighter then 30lb main line and i was wondering what you would reccomend.

i am currently looking at a daiwa procaster rod in meduim to heavy

and for the reel probably an alphas, i realise the drag this reel will provide will not suffice however i can use my thumb to get more pressure. there is no point in me getting a heavier reel as i will not use it when i get back to brisbane

thanks

Rod is 5-8kg

I definitely would not go any lighter than 30lb braid but no heavier than 50lb (I have 35lb FINS )

Leader 60 to 80lb

Reel I would use a 4000 real

Key thing is to go as light as you can because you will be casting for 12+ hours a day so need a lure weight rod

good luck - looking forward to the report

I was asking the same question a while ago.

Here's the threads that gave me the answers.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/4-tackle-and-accessories/198760-monduran-tackle#198813

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/47-hard-bodies/185286-treble-size#185288

Cheers

i just bought a barra combo last week. which insisted of

curado 200e5

shimano raider barra 5-8 2pce

sunline super pe 30lb.

this combo set me back 400. i think it would do the job great!

sounds like a great set up. why is it that many people use rods that are rated well below the line rating of the rod?

thanks for the link ellicat and thanks everyone else

Mate, I just picked up a Loomis GL2665 Baitcaster and Daiwa Saltist Hard Rock Fish from bcf for a smidge over $400. Rod is rated heavy, up to 25Lb but is light enough to cast all day and is UBER responsive in your the hands. The HRF only has 4Kg of drag, though it isn't anything a well placed thumb couldn't fix.

I got the last one off the rack at BCF browns plains, might be able to get a bargain elsewhere though. I paid roughly $160 for the rod, and I can tell you it has heaps of grunt. Only thing I can whinge about is the final finish of the reel, chips easy.

Some food for thought?

Felix

Rod is 5-8kg

is that too light?

that is a good weight. It will handle a very large Barra. The pro I went out with had the same weight rods (Barra Raider rods). You do not need to spend a fortune to catch barra. If you are not going to go regularly or use the rods for other fishing than you can probably get a combo for around $250

isn't anything a well placed thumb couldn't fix.

Felix

Might not have much meat left on your thumb after that. It gets a bit soft from being wet from all day casting then the braid strips off the layers of skin pretty quick on that first run. I have a tica full alloy baitcaster with 50lb sunline. Still very castable and use it alot around Brisbane for snapper and cod.

i got the dawia procast and alphas (the older model) second hand :cheer: . the bloke had used the combo a couple of times.

the rod has a great feel and light as, the reel is so smooth to wind and drag is silky smooth and it casts like a dream. if line capacity was an issue for you then you may have issues with the alphas as the spool is tiny. but all up the reel is awsome.

just quietly i love the paint job on the alphas, even if it is purple

post-6557-144598558519_thumb.jpg

post-6557-144598558526_thumb.jpg

Archived