A quick review - G.Loomis GL2665 B/C and HRF...

Mr FeLiX

Hey guys and girlies,

Just thought I would write up a quick review regarding me Loomis GL2665 and Saltist HRF baitcaster combo. I don;t know why, though I think some people may find it handy.

I picked the rod up from BCF on special for $160 odd, and it just felt right. Rated up to 25 Lb and has a casting weight range of an ounce to one and a half ounces I believe. Not sure what it is in grams, sorry.

First impressions of the Loomis was the weight is incredible for such a heavy stick, it's really that light. The cork grips are great, allowing the smallest bump to be transmitted straight to your fingertips and the blank is incrediblly powerful, punching well above it's price tag. Not the newest or the greatest Loomis, but still an exellant bit of kit.

I matched it to a Daiwa Saltist hard rock fish baitcaster. First impression, a great looking reel. Very smooth, has ample line capacity when using braid and uses daiwas' magforce z casting assist system. It is also fully treated for total saltwater use, with corrosion resistant ball bearings, etc.

I spooled the HRF with roughly 20 Mtrs of mono backing, and a full 120mtr odd spool of fireline smoke, 20Lb.

This combo performed flawlessly on a recent trip to the Gold Coast district, with excellant distance being achieved casting both 100mm hard bodied rapala magnums, and 4 inch gulp shrimps.

With only a minor feathering of the spool, cast control was excellant, and the rod was so responsive I could feel the raindrops being transmitted up the braid. Truly amazing stuff.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks for reading.

Felix

Only gripe I have had was the final finish on the Daiwa. Literally, just bumped it getting it out of the boot and the paintchipped, doesn't seem to have a clear protective coating over the paint?

Oh well, still a grea reel for the price. Beats a Curado, for me anyway. :whistle:

Felix

Archived