Catching own Bait

RedBull

Hey guys i hope i'm in the right place i am just new, i just moved to Burleigh Heads and i was wondering if there is anywhere near here where i can catch my own bait weather it be pippi's, worms, yabbies, mullet, anything at all i am willing to go out and give it a good go so much appreciated if there is any insight from anyone or some tips where and how to get them.

A good reliable yabby bank in your area is in Talley creek, just east of the M1 highway bridge.

On low tide you will see a large sand bank on the southern side of the island (this bank floods on high tide). This bank always holds yabbies - just look for the holes and move around till you find a good concentration.

I have never tried for worms here, but the edges of the mangroves on the eastern end of the bank looks to be the right sort of area.

I assume you have your own yabby pump (if not get the longer one) and have pumped for them before?

Marty

Excellent guys thanks for the replies thats going to help me alot can't wait to get out there and pump for some yabbs, i'll have to pick myself a cast net up i think.

I havn't seen alot or much at all to tell you the truth of ppl finding pippi's around here but thats okay i love to use yabbies and i havn't tried a bait bag on the beach yet for worms but from what i read it's quite a knack to catch the wriggly buggers anyway lol.

Appreciate all the help thanks again guys i'll let yas know how i go in the weeks to come ;) .

its quite safe to cast off burleigh heads bridge ... try not to go too near the edges of the bridge ... plus watch out for tide changes ... lost one when I got complacent and cast too close into run in tide ...

mullet season coming soon ... so will have good feed size mullet too ...

if its poddy mullet ... and has yellow eyes ... all good ... if not yellow eyed then make sure no gelatinous eye ... I avoid taking anything without yellow eyes below 30cms ...

hope this helps....

Archived