Mackerel mania and my PB Cobia

tugger

Went out on tuesday to give them a tickle up again on the reef just out the front of camp hit the bar early and was anchored by 0430 with lines set. The boats around me started to hook fish before 5am and it wasn't to much longer before we were into the action and boy it was a hot session over the next half an hour.

The mate with me from the park at talle was concerned we lost the first 4 spotties but the next 4 were boated and all in quick flurry of action. We had a livie out under a float but it was close to another boat that anchored behind us close enough to worry me with any large fish. It got a bit of an inquiry around 6am so i picked up the rod and set the hook then giving it some hurt to keep it clear of other boats.

This was a big fish by the weight on my rod and it jumped and gave us a look about 30m behind the boat with the call of a big cobia. It jumped another 3 times and after a stubborn fight it came to the boat for the gaff shot only for it to go beserk beside the boat. This fish needed 2 of us to lift it in with my son clearing enough room on deck then a few photos we had another quick fish for a few more spotties while i got the boat ready to go home

We crossed the bar around 0730 with 3 spotties caught b y my son 3 for my mate and 1 spot and the cobia for me for the morning. The rest of the day was cleaning fish and keeping the fluids up in a nice shady spot in 1 of my patches of paradise, my PB cobia went 1.4m and estimate it around 30kg

post-4390-1445985587_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598558705_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598558709_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598558712_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598558715_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598558719_thumb.jpg

yep the same spot there is some beasts on the palmy, did you get any after i left
WWOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

That is HUUUGGEE!!!! is that from where we were fishing yesterday?!?

What a beast!

na no mackies for us only got the one hit down deep and another clean snip livies wernt touched.

as marty said there's plenty of little tinnies get out there and the swell is tiny at the moment but another option is to go out the southport seaway and run down to the mermaid reef where they get thick to it's a bit longer but no bar crossing

good fish and congrats on the PB. quick question, how many smaller boats are getting out there? been on the rocks before and the bar looks pretty hairy at times.

cheers

eug

as marty said there's plenty of little tinnies get out there and the swell is tiny at the moment but another option is to go out the southport seaway and run down to the mermaid reef where they get thick to it's a bit longer but no bar crossing
good fish and congrats on the PB. quick question, how many smaller boats are getting out there? been on the rocks before and the bar looks pretty hairy at times.

cheers

eug

thanks marc, thinking about joining the carpark might give the seaway a shot.

cheers

eug

So how come you haven't changed your avatar yet, that Job Fish is looking a little tiny compared to the Cobia.

Looks like you had an enjoyable Birthday week.

So mate what was the go - line weight, wire? Did you need to up the ante to catch the Cob? If you caught the Cob with the same gear as we use at Tugger Rock then what the hell has been snapping us off?

This fishing thing - more questions than there are answers!

50lb mono on my tall rod with the tyrion lever drag reel with 44lb wire and an 8/0 gamagatsu hook with a live yakka, i'd just replaced the old mono with brand new line and had a heavy drag setting to keep away from other boats nearby but they don't fight to dirty there towards the bottom as it's fairly flat with a gravel bottom compared to boat rock with all the reef and rock. it was the first time i'd ever seen cobia jump out of the water so it was another first for me

So how come you haven't changed your avatar yet, that Job Fish is looking a little tiny compared to the Cobia.

Looks like you had an enjoyable Birthday week.

So mate what was the go - line weight, wire? Did you need to up the ante to catch the Cob? If you caught the Cob with the same gear as we use at Tugger Rock then what the hell has been snapping us off?

This fishing thing - more questions than there are answers!

Archived