mustad big gun hooks or wire problem maybe

mick fillet

while fishing palm beach reef with crazy walrus and the young fella on thursday havin a crack at the mackies .one thing that i noticed through out the session was each time i bought the bait in i check the rig, to rig a new bait on etc. i noticed the point of the mustad big gun 6o hook disapering. corosion /electrolosis maybe just the salt eating it away. the hooks are brand new and so is the wire trace swivels are good quality little black ones.

the hooks were going from sharp to blunt in 40 minutes what drew my attention to it first i must admit was while rerigging a new bait the swell made the boat jolt and the hook flicked into the side of my hand but it didnt go in. I checked the other rigs after this only to find that they too were starting to loose there point

the single strand coffee colour wire trace i normaly use for the mackies/ bullies etc. i run out of. so i opened a new pack of single strand wire that i aquired not long ago. the wire is that knot2kinky brand stuff nickel-titanium, that stretches, kink resistant and corrosion proof :woohoo: cant get better than this, good product

i have used mustad heaps havnt really come accross this problem ever of the hooks going blunt so quick. i have had them go blunt over the day and because they were hooking fish but going blunt catching no fish thats wierd :blink:

was just wondering if any one else ever had a problem like this or have used this knot2kinky knotable wire?

my thoughts are that its the new wire thats the problem. maybe electrolisis between the two metals of wire / hook. the wire is corrosion proof and nickel-titanium. the hooks are mustad hi-carbon temperd chemically sharpened metal.

whats your thoughts do mustard hooks ever corrode away on you while your fishing?

cheers mick

I reckon you are on the right track with the galvanic corrosion theory.

Titanium and nickel are on the non reactive side of the galvanic series and carbon steel is way down on the other. This results in rapid corrosion. Other than being thinner not sure why the point corrodes the worst but probably some reason to do with the shape and the way it effects conductivity.

Some game fishing guys that use chemically sharpened hooks (Gamakatsu SL12's) on their lures put little zinc sacrificial anodes that they wrap around the hooks to give them a longer life. Supposedly they still only get a few trips out of them before they start corroding. You can get the zinc anode strips from more gamefishing focused tackle stores like tackle warehouse.

PS It Mustad not Mustard you bunch of tards. :P

Mustad has been going down hill for years. They were pretty much the only hook I used till they started breaking and coming up blunt. There are a few models I still use but am hardly using them for anything now. You might be able to justify annodes on gamas but not cheaper hooks.

well called in at charltons bait n tackle. it seems that there aware of the problem yet they still sell this so called u bute wire. its the wire that causes a galvanic corrosion between the 2 metals eating away the fine point of the hook. as Dhess described the two metal are at opposite ends of the scale

the soloution they reckon is to attach sacraffical anodes to the rig. as Dhess said to do. they can order me some in.:lol: :lol: :lol: your joking right. stick this u bute wire up ya clacker i said and we had a laugh.

so save ya self some dollars folks and stay clear of the knot2kinky brand wire.it literally eats ya tackle away i stocked up on the ussual wire marlin brand coffee colour single strand staino wire.

i must say when i first got the knot2kinky brand wire i was absolutly stoked with it. i was using on the bullies at kooka for a while with absoloutly no dramas. so it must be the high salt levels in the water that kicks the corrosion process off. kooka park is very low in salt. i think i will end up ussing the rest of the wire up down there on the bullies

cheers mick

Archived