Glen Lyon 12/12 to 17/12/10 With more photos.

rayke1938

Got up early on Saturday morning to especially listen to Nuggett talking to Brian Dare and was a bit peeved when Nuggett cut him off short without giving out any real info.

Should have realized that the fishing was crook then .

Up bright and early with Graham towing my boat and me towing the camper to arrive around 11 ish and quickly got the latest goss from Debby and set up camp.

PC130713.jpg

Really surprised how high the water level was.

PC120703.jpg

When we were there last year it was at least a 500 yard drive to the waters edge from the gate.

When we left this morning people were reversing their trailers through the gate to launch as there was not enough room to turn and launch. The water rose around 6 inches each day we were there.

The fishing was very slow with myself catching a donut and Graham 3 yellas and 2 cod.

This cod on a Tom Battatts gidgee.

PC130716.jpg

This little yella attacked this Terry Marshall lure.

PC130719.jpg

This little cod on live shrimp.

PC150747640x480.jpg

We tried a lot of spots for no results. Tried up into small inlets that had water inflows in the hope that the fish were up there looking for insects.

PC140729.jpg

PC130718.jpg

Plus all the trees

PC140731.jpg

PC150741640x480.jpg

PC120706.jpg

The only fish we could find in the trees were around the odd isolated tree.

Not as many feral goats around this year. They may have been culled or just spread out with the abundance of feed.

PC140732.jpg

Lots of underwater hazards.

PC150745640x480.jpg

PC130714.jpg

These ones were ok because its clearly visible but lots more just under the surface. Could not understand one mob watersking up in one of the bays that was full of logs etc.

Some general shots around the dam.

PC130715.jpg

PC120711.jpg

PC120710.jpg

PC120709.jpg

PC120708.jpg

PC120705.jpg

Think poor fishing could have been due to the low barometer even with it not compensated for the higher altitude it was still very low all the time.

PC120707.jpg

One afternoon when Graham came back from his shower he thought that his luck had changed as there was movement inside his tent but when he opened the flap there was a roo inside holding a packet of sliced bread in one hand and eating a slice in the other.

We tried hiding the bread under the lid of the fry-pan but they soon found that.

We also had to put our rubbish bin in the tray of the ute as otherwise the foxes and roos would spread it around everywhere.

PC140735640x480.jpg

PC140737640x480.jpg

PC130722.jpg

Had a few storms come through. You really have to keep your eyes peeled as they come through very quickly

PC130720.jpg

PC160750640x480.jpg

PC160748640x480.jpg

The dam was 2 feet below the spillway on Thursday afternoon but topped last night after another good storm that lasted most of Thursday night.

PC160754640x480.jpg

When we left on Friday morning we had to detour via Tenterfield as Pikes creek was up and full of logs and debris.

Cheers

Ray

Myself and Bruce arrived wed around lunch time just as Ray and Graham were heading in for lunch, we had a bit of a chat then after lunch and a poppy nap followed Ray up the dam as it was my first time here, Bruce was onto a yella right away, he then caught about 6 catfish. Then it was my turn I got one yella and soon after picked up another both on shrimp. We then headed off for a troll with me picking up another yella on a big cod lure that I have had for years,

Thurs morning we headed off trolling and I picked up another yella on a gidgee ripple. By 9am and after a call from Ray we decided to go in early, the closer we got to the boat ramp the blacker the sky got, by the time we got back to the cabin the thunderstorm struck, the cabin jumped off its foundations at one stage. Back on the water in the arvo for a small session for nothing before we were chased off again by another storm moving in.

So for the two and a half sessions I got 4 yellas and a cattie and Bruce 1 yella and 6 catties.

We left early fri morning and had to do a dangerous creek crossing at Pikes creek, we arrived just as a Landcruiser was going across, so I said to Bruce if a Landcruiser can do it a Rodeo should do it easy:woohoo: as Ray mentioned it wasnt the water flow so much as it was the logs floating across that was the danger, we managed to run over one small log that floated across our path. Forfot to get a pic of the crossing, thought Ray might get one but he left later than me and was advised to go another way.

Few pics Cheers Dino

post-1453-144598559167_thumb.jpg

another

post-1453-144598559177_thumb.jpg

pic of one of my yellas and Bruces fingers

post-1453-144598559187_thumb.jpg

big full waterway

post-1453-144598559197_thumb.jpg

ready to go over, on 4bc this am they said its now going over

post-1453-144598559207_thumb.jpg

Looks like Graham was catching last years fingerlings there.

From my experience at Glenlyon it is very much affected by the barometer. I might have to watch the next 1020 as they'll be hungry by then :woohoo:

Thanks for the report fellas. In Dino's high shot of the dam it looks like there's a big swell rolling in :unsure:

Most entertaining moment of the trip was listening and watching Bruce trying to tie up to a tree with Dino almost having a heart attack due to frustration.

Would have made a great video on how to stuff something up. Bruce couldnt even work out that you had to stand on the same side of the boat as the tree that you wanted to tie up to. I think that he expected Dino to turn the boat around rather than him having to move.

Cheers

Ray

Glenlyon is 22km long.

About 10/15 years ago we had a good night of laughs and beers with the blokes from the cabin beside us. One of the blokes looked like you, Mick. I've been wondering if it was you for a while but keep forgetting to mention it. Thanks for asking the question - now I know it wasn't you :laugh:

Archived