Dud offshore adventure

tomca

The plan was to launch the yaks from Palm Beach at sunrise.

I picked up Keen-as-fisho and his gear and headed down. 11th Ave was a scene of gridlock with cars and utes 3 deep unloading yaks. Moved down to the surf club carpark and surveyed the surf and found a 1 foot shore break.

KAF was first out without drama, then as I waded past the break I tripped over my own feet and went for a dip without even a wave :blush:

I was worried we couldn't find the reef

IMGP1266.jpg

We eventually found it :laugh: and got a big hit on a trolled 6" Berkley lure but it shreeded the leader and no more luck on the troll.

I floated a butterflied pillie out the back while bottom bashing with a armorshad and Got a hit with headshakes and I was :woohoo: until I saw colour and when I saw this

IMGP1268.jpg

I said a bad word. As I fought it to the surface A big grey shape come up under it and chased it right up at the yak. I said a couple of much badder words, but in hindsight it was only about 3 metres long :S

Next fish was a whiting so he went out to replace the pillie and got smashed, but the hooks didn't stick. A pod of about 20 dolphins cruised through the boats. (Bit hard to see them in the pic)

post-1039-144598559398_thumb.jpg

Saw plenty of surface bust ups and got busted off but no mack love came my way

Things went a bit quiet for me and by 9.30 I landed 5 shovels, 4 bar tail flatties and 2 whiting.

Met Bri out on the water, those AFO stickers gave me away.

Sissy girl, I mean KAF, started looking a little green and started manufacturing some burley, so we headed in.

Packed all the gear in the hull and the ride in was easy as the launch, and I managed to do a massive fail again. This time it was the yak flipping, and not me swimming.

KAF had a play on another yakkers fibreglass Stealth and failed on the reentry so he swam as well.

IMGP1275.jpg

It was a good morning out apart from the lack of fish and :sick: it probably didn't help that I only got an hour sleep last night and a few jds too many, then forgetting to take my pills :angry: No donut, I got 1 bar tail flatty, 1 trevally and 1 of those strange orange cod. I saw heaps of bust offs just wide of the Ipswich motorway car park, but every opportunity I got some stinker would belt straight through it trolling and spook them. I got one decent strike whilst trolling a shallow chrome bomber but missed the hooks.

It was good fun playing in the surf (lack of) and I am definitely keen to get back out there soon, I just need to have a gut full of pills next time :S

on 9 news tonight it was reported that one of the dolphin calves down there was found gutted with a fillet removed. WTF is wrong with people.

didnt catch the news broadcast but i can't find that on ninemsn.com.au website, got any more details?

that's really messed up, and the sorta thing the greens would love to tar our entire community with :(

it was reported that some boats were harrassing the pod and when lifeguards went out in the rib to move them on a calf, still bleeding was found in the water. Its body was taken to seaworld for an autopsy tomorrow, and the boaties details were passed on to fisheries, but they all denied any part of it.

They are like whales, only smaller, I suppose :angry:

post-662-144598559466_thumb.jpg

Good to meet you guys today it was a difficult day, we reckon 150 boats easy. We saw a few spotties cruise past the back of the boat but ignored the livies we had out. Only had 1 fish a mac tuna took a livie, powerfull fish. We were out still dark just light and the place was full then.

Better luck next time. we'll just have to keep trying.

Bri

on 9 news tonight it was reported that one of the dolphin calves down there was found gutted with a fillet removed. WTF is wrong with people.

I heard the news just after finishing work out at the golf cub but thought I heard it wrong but if these people are found they need to be publicly flogged .

Mate to answer you question what is wrong with people well these halfwits just need to be flogged with big sticks

it was reported that some boats were harrassing the pod and when lifeguards went out in the rib to move them on a calf, still bleeding was found in the water. Its body was taken to seaworld for an autopsy tomorrow, and the boaties details were passed on to fisheries, but they all denied any part of it.

They are like whales, only smaller, I suppose :angry:

have you guys watched "the cove" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRD8e20fBo A lot of dolphins are caught for the Japanese market. really sick thing to do

That is crap about the calf, I know I had quite a few bad words sent my way when I was dragged into one of the stinkers with a big fish on, not much I could do with the drag singing.

Anyway one a bright note i did manage one fish for my efforts, a lot of fun after the small stuff i have been getting lately.

post-7367-144598559528_thumb.jpg

Archived