In search of Saratoga

Scope

G’day guys, will all this rain and not much fishing happening, I thought I’d throw up a quick report from a couple of months back.

I recently had the privilege of heading up to Borumba Dam with the local fishing club. Setting off about 7:00 Friday night, we headed for the Deer Park Camping Ground, arriving at about 10:00 p.m. After setting up camp in the dark, we said G’day to everyone, knocked back a couple of beers, then crashed out for the night.

A few hours later and it was off up the hill in the Hilux, boat in tow, to check out the dam. Through bleary eyes I took in Borumba and its magnificent surroundings, which are a truly breathtaking sight. Standing timber, surrounded by rolling hills, and forest all round makes for a truly serene setting.

post-5732-144598559556_thumb.jpg

post-5732-144598559562_thumb.jpg

post-5732-144598559583_thumb.jpg

We hit the snags early, in search of Saratoga. I had heard via the bush telegraph that they had been a little hard to come by of late, with poppers, shallow divers and earthworms yielding the best results.

A fairly fruitless morning followed, with a couple of hefty swirls around the lures, but sadly, not a single hook up.

MODERATOR WARNING !

This post contains pictures of a man in excessively bright shorts.

After Lunch, we headed further into the timber, searching for the tell tale snags likely to hold our quarry. It wasn’t long before my line went tight, and after a moment’s hesitation, I set the hooks into the boney mouth of a Saratoga.

What followed was a screaming reel and a painfully bent bream rod as I tried desperately to negotiate the fish from its snaggy abode. A couple of top water dance moves from the ‘Toga followed, and after a short fight, he was soon boat side. He ended up being under legal, but I was still stoked with Saratoga number one.

post-5732-144598559565_thumb.jpg

The second and third fish followed in much the same way, with another undersized specimen grabbing mine and a healthy legal sized one being caught by the missus. The majority of the fish came in the late afternoon and early morning the next day. The lower light conditions seemed to make the fish less spooky and gave us the edge.

post-5732-14459855957_thumb.jpg

post-5732-144598559574_thumb.jpg

Borumba truly is an awesome place. Good to see you guys got onto a few and your misses getting a legally B) Did you get onto any other species? I can't wait to get back out there and get an Imbil pub steak and some toga too.

Just realised that use got some golden perch and an eel tail catty, I'm yet to get a golden in that dam. What were they caught on?

Wasn't me that got the goldens mate, it was one of the other boats with us in the picture above. Pretty sure they came on worms. I'll double check for you. Would love to go back and search for a bass or two....

Hmmm... me thinks a social trip could be in order. What you reckon dennis ??

Wasn't me that got the goldens mate, it was one of the other boats with us in the picture above. Pretty sure they came on worms. I'll double check for you. Would love to go back and search for a bass or two....

You red my mind :P Just gotta get my boat fixed (so lazy :whistle: ) Lets go

MODERATOR WARNING !

After Lunch, we headed further into the timber, searching for the tell tale snags likely to hold our quarry. It wasn’t long before my line went tight, and after a moment’s hesitation, I set the hooks into the boney mouth of a Saratoga.

What followed was a screaming reel and a painfully bent bream rod as I tried desperately to negotiate the fish from its snaggy abode. A couple of top water dance moves from the ‘Toga followed, and after a short fight, he was soon boat side. He ended up being under legal, but I was still stoked with Saratoga number one.

[attachment=28345]Work Pictures 003 AFO.jpg[/attachment]

Ellicat you sly dog..... (sorry bit of a contradiction there) And after that fabulous xmas present I bought you! :P

p.s - they're my going out shorts! :laugh:

Work pending im in. Always loved the look of this dam.

Angus

MODERATOR WARNING !

You should have seen the photo before I turned down the volume! See below:

post-2889-144598559735_thumb.jpg

BTW tBox and I have been toying with the idea of a session at Borumba - I think you've convinced me. Nice report Jono.

Archived