Trout and Redfin Alpine Victoria

Nitris

Hi all, Long time no post for me.

I have been keeping myself busy chasing some trout and some redfins over the last year or so.. That was untill i Broke my Leg/ankle landing my paraglider some 5 weeks ago now. Anyway 4 screws later and some plaster (and some pain killers) all i have to do is wait 2 months in plaster and then another month till im ment to walk on my leg with full pressure.. They tell me i will have a limp for about 12months.. Anyway popped into the forum last week for a gander and ellicat was fast to catch on to me even looking at the forums.. sneaky devil he is.. It be fun to be in the Bris River classic again, maybe next year as i should be back up that way.

post-3112-144598559704_thumb.jpg

post-3112-144598559715_thumb.jpg

post-3112-14459855972_thumb.jpg

Cheers for posting, Nitris.

I'm always checking to see who's online (for obvious reasons) so it was a pleasant surprise to see you two fellas back having a look the other day. :) Much better than the ones I'm usually looking out for :whistle:

Looks like the leg was sewn up with a bit of fencing wire :laugh:

So what's the scoop with the two species - which ones fight better ?

Have you kept a few for a feed ?

Did the river ice over during winter ? :blink:

Redfin are from lake Buffalo Which is next to Mt Buffalo which is next to me. Caught them from the boat with 3 inch sp's minnow either white or yellow and white strip worked really well. When u found where they were sitting it was fairly easy to get one every second cast. They came off the bite when the temp of the water in the lake got to 10deg. There is a closed season for trout down here over winter so they can spawn do not much fishing gets done over winter. Although I did spend most of it snowboarding as its under one hours drive to either Mt Hotham or Falls Creek.

picked back up the fishing in spring. Was getting on to trout fairly regularly now that i have found thier fav lure. which turns out to be the Jazz series of blades. All i have to do to go trout fishing is walk down the end of my street, So most days after work when i could walk id go down there and have an hour or so walking the banks for a fish.. most of what i catch there is up to 25cm. I did drop a mid 30's one, they hit a lot harder then the smaller ones and get very keen to jump and try and throw the hook. Compared the trout they both pull about the same for thier size, though the trout will break the surface which is cool.

I guess i could make some sort of crude smoker by digging into sand banks and putting small fire where it has to go. Have been enjoying eating the trout. But the redfin really surprised me how tasty they are. They call them english perch where they come from and are a table fish. Best thing is over here they grow bigger and faster. Good for us and Very tasty i was impressed.

i even found trout living in this Aquaduct that runs around the Falls Ck village performing drainage duties.. got quite the shock. so next year there'll be a rod coming along for the ride. i failed completely in the art of taking their pictures..

to get to this spot the trout had to jump up out of a drain hole near rocky valley dam. this is about 2kms from that point. crazy fish

5063427357_36ea31d81c_z.jpg

_MG_4115 by planet_b, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

i've always wondered why trout can be stocked but carp are feral pests! Methinks the old english blood kicks in. Shame about the native smelt but apparently they weren't much good on the chew! on a lighter note there is a well established rumour that a local stocked lake manchester with trout. As it is fed from a cold aquifer the water temps are quite a bit colder than any other lake around it all year round so there could be some merit to the tale...

Archived