Gladstone Marina & Harbour

Brian D

After doing a days work in half a day, then paying dues at home by putting the grandkids presents together (why does everything come in boxes these days) I managed some time off for fishing. With the dams stuffed with new water, the rivers running too fast with overflow from the dams and no time to put the boat in the water, it was time to test out the marina and the harbour via yak mobile. Darn I love these things.

I t was one of those trips where I was totally uncoordinated and couldn't get it together. After 2 hours of floating around like a tourist, hooking only a tug boat tied to the pontoon, I had done a full lap of the harbour for didily squat. So headed home.

As I was drifting between the shore and a pontoon some smart ass decided it would be a good idea to sneak up behind me and scare the crap out of me. He was lucky I didn't stab him in the foot with my croc knife, the rotten bugger.

Not long after the brown burley there was a bust up off the port side bow of the yak so I launched the every ready surface lure and scored this nice GT.

post-118-144598560229_thumb.jpg

I played with him for a bit in the shallows trying to decide if I wanted to eat chicken or fish tonight but laziness took over and i let him swim away. He did give a good fight so he deserves to live

post-118-14459856024_thumb.jpg

Funny about that Greg - I was dressed in designer shirt and flash dacks. You should see the looks I get when I walk into the water wearing a $200 shirt. :blink: No good to me up here so why not wear them fishing.

Another funny thing - I subscribed to a mag and they sent me a rapala fishing shirt in a dry cleaners plastic bag- which went on to a coat hanger and into the cupboard next to my suits. Just where I pulled the business shirts from. I suppose it will have to wait it's turn to be used. :woohoo:

Elicat said I looked like a pastry chef last time he saw me. That's better then looking like an accountant!

Not wrong Ryan, this one (it's about 50cm) was pulling the drag so hard I started to think that there was something wrong with it. I ended up using my thumb when it came yak side because it pulled me over to a rock shelf. :huh:

Imajine that - pulling me around in a yak - I find it hard enough to paddle. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update from CQ. The water is still crap but I am starting to hear noise about catches so I had a quick go in the marina harbour. There was very little action but I did manage another GT on surface lure and for once it wasn't a rover lure.

I might have a go up river later in the week.

post-118-144598563753_thumb.jpg

Archived