Thong Poppers

rosstralia46

Has anyone made any of these and if so howd did you go and that was watching some videos on youtube will post cos they are awesome catching bream and big bass with a lure mimicing a cicada and was thinking about making some lures. (will pass some time on the holidays and should be fun was thinking of using through wire construction any other ideas would be great will be putting together some prototypes soon hopefully

cheers ross

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4p95odzk_I&feature=related

yer mate you make em out of thongs i a going to try and get some actual proper rubber or some more thongs but here is the prototype and it works well and bloops well to. used a split shot underneath to even out the weight and for casting weight all in all a success i think can wait to get out there and try it.

p.s typed in thong popper as well and well yer..........

post-7093-144598560274_thumb.jpg

post-7093-14459856028_thumb.jpg

Okay, cool thanks. I did find a couple of good vids on making your own wooden lures and plastics which were interesting.

One thing I have found a use for old thongs with fishing is to slice it up into a couple of sections, snip 2 opposite sides at regular intervals with scissors and use this rubber block to hold my premade tackle rigs. Just wind it on and the hooks go into the rubber, no mess and ready to go, plus they dont deteriorate like the swimming pool styro sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I bought 6 thong poppers from Mo Tackle in Coff' Harbor.

Have only 2 left now, will try and post some photos. Great bass lures!!

Will have to see if I can make them myself. Am thinking about making them out of pool noddles but the plastic density may not be right.

Luc

Pool noodles are a really poor quality material. We had several for the kids when we had a place with a pool, and they just disintergrate after being exposed to the elements, even powdering up in your hands. With places like Big W throwing thongs away at $1 and $2 a pair, I would think it would be a better , more durable material.

Thong material is best but you have to find nice thick soled ones to get decent size bodies.

The standard thickness ones are just too thin.

Of course you could always glue 2 soles together to get the right thickness.

I've attached some photos of the last 2 thong poppers I have.

The photos are pretty crappy but they should give you the basic idea.

In the last photo, the ruler is metric.

Luc

post-2042-14459856338_thumb.jpg

post-2042-144598563387_thumb.jpg

post-2042-144598563391_thumb.jpg

post-2042-144598563394_thumb.jpg

Archived