Getting first Yak

AngryBundyBear

I've got the Viking Espri, and it is a quite popular yak. Great for everything really from fishing dams,creeks,rivers and people even take em offshore. I think they are around $800 bare hull and $1100 with the fish kit (snap lock holder, 2 flush mounts, seat, paddle) I'm fairly sure they are the prices. The Viking Tempo's and Profish also look good but bit more pricey i think. If you can afford the little extra cash, the hobies are awesome, and definetly a yak I wanna get very soon. B)

Keep an eye out for something around 12-14ft long on the Kayak fishing sites. There is usually a few for sale. Yaks like the Prowler 13, Tarpons, VIking Espri, Tempos and Profishes. Would all be good allrounders. If you think you will be doing more offshore/bay fishing then freshwater then something a bit longer may also suit. Or if skinny creek bassing is more your thing go for something closer to 12ft.

i went to the viking shop at chermside a couple of weeks ago

they have the Tempo fisherman 1 and its priced at $1050.00 which includes paddle and seat

i am looking at the Pro fish 45

i am going back on Friday to have another talk to them $1450.00 includes seat & paddle

still tossing up which would best suit a fat old bugger best

I would suggest the Espri

I have had both the Espri and the Profish and I chose to unload the profish as it was too heavy to handle onto and off the car. It was manageable but only just.

The profish is ideal if you fish open waters with a friend, great for ocean and big dams. It great to paddle in a straight line.

The Espri is a great allrounder, dams , oceans, rivers creeks etc, it's agile and responsive.

A AFO legend Lee had a tempo but I'm not convinced that it was better the then Espri.

I have another yak smaller then the Espri which is great but again I prefer the Espri.

I have stripped the Espri of all cadets, I flicked the sounder, reduced the rod holders to one, removed the netting front and back. I have had pimped up yaks but now I have gone back to basics as they make better fishing platforms.

The netting foul hooks the lures and the over hanging trees, the sounder only shows what's under the boat but mostly you cast away from the yak. You can read depth easy enough by following the land and the water. Rod holders get in the way when paddling.

My thoughts are to grab and espri and keep it simple

Archived