1st Bar Crossing & a 1st Mackeral

daveylad

Met up with Dhess and Eug at Noosaville at 4.30am the weather was fine with hardly a breath of wing in the river. we set of for the Noosa reefs just as it was getting light and approached the Noosa Bar for my first crossing luckily it was playing the game and was flat as and it was clear to see where the passage was even in all the brackish water. It was fairly shallow but okat considering it was still 3 hours or more to high tide.

As we entered the area called "Jew Shoal" we noticed several lots of birds smashing up in the area and we quickly began throwing in slugs into the boil up, no luck but a boat nearby who got there before us hooked up to what seemed to be a good size fish. we moved over to Sunshine Reefs andthe wind was making the water really choppy blowing a good 10 to 15 knots. at the reef Dhess was hit on a couple of times and was bitten off he then put on a wire and floated a pillie, he was soon rewarded with his Spotted Mack his first, I followed suite and floated another pillie and soon pulled in a school Mack, We were both bitten off a couple of times with good hits. The wind was picking up by now gusting to 15 or more knots so we had a troll around the area for an hour without any luck, by now most of the boats were leaving thwe area due to the chop and the wind increasing so we returned to the inner reefs.

On the way we say some great spots where the tuna were smashing up and troled around and through them without any luck, the wind was really causing the chop to increase and made it uncomfatbale out there so about 11am we decided to head back in, The bar was still flat but the tide was coming out but easy enough for my first crossings. Not a very good day for fishing but good comapny with Dhess and Eug and more experience with the boat :laugh:

post-7571-144598560349_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598560354_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598560356_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598560359_thumb.jpg

good to see your getting a bit of experience dave on the bar the mackies are going insane down the gold coast from the reports from my mates down there, i have heard the mackies are biting on currumundi reef as well and would be an easy run from mooloolaba its a reef close to the beach

Good onya for both 1sts daveylad and for offering the deckie spots. You can't be dissappointed being amongst it in your own rig. I got back from Noosaville 3 days ago and had boat/bar envy watching all the bigger boats heading out although it didn't look all that flat while I was there.

So where does the line start for the next trip? :lol:

Dhess and I had a laugh I said all the best mate for christmas probably wont get chance to see you before then, Dom said, what if we get a below 10knots and low swell, my answere I'll give you a call. Thats the only thing holding me back, have got my wires made up and ready to go.

Thanks to Dave for a good trip as always. Targeting mackerel was a change of pace and good to finally get my first spotty.

Also great to meet Eug. Very nice bloke.

Its a shame we couldn't convert the bite offs, but thats what you get when you start off by trying to get a few reefies off the bottom fishing mono leader in mackerel country.

Most of the biteoffs were when we were retrieving a bottom rig just before we got it to the boat.

Also lost about 50m of my flashy new japanese braid to a wanker of a charter skipper who thought it was a good idea to pass over the lines we had out floating behind us. :angry: Must be his ocean or something as he had km of open water for an alternative route.

Had the spotty for dinner tonight and must say I was pretty impressed by eating quality. Much nicer than a doggie. Have to try a spanish next. Assuming it would be similar to wahoo.

Only downside with them is that they are a pain in the but to skin as its very easy to cut through the skin.

Had the spotty for dinner tonight and must say I was pretty impressed by eating quality. Much nicer than a doggie. Have to try a spanish next. Assuming it would be similar to wahoo.

Only downside with them is that they are a pain in the but to skin as its very easy to cut through the skin.

We had some of the School Mackeral I thought it was better than a spottie and the meat was whiter, leave the skin on full of omegas:laugh:

Thanks to Dave for a good trip as always. Targeting mackerel was a change of pace and good to finally get my first spotty.

Also great to meet Eug. Very nice bloke.

Its a shame we couldn't convert the bite offs, but thats what you get when you start off by trying to get a few reefies off the bottom fishing mono leader in mackerel country.

Most of the biteoffs were when we were retrieving a bottom rig just before we got it to the boat.

Also lost about 50m of my flashy new japanese braid to a wanker of a charter skipper who thought it was a good idea to pass over the lines we had out floating behind us. :angry: Must be his ocean or something as he had km of open water for an alternative route.

Nice to meet you also Dom, thanks for the boating and building tips also! Something to tackle during this rained out holiday hopefully.

Bit of a shame with your varivas, I haven't seen a charter yet that has displayed courtesy on the water.

We had some of the School Mackeral I thought it was better than a spottie and the meat was whiter, leave the skin on full of omegas:laugh:

Good stuff. Did either you of blokes try sashimi??

Cheers

Eug

Archived