A very busy Palm Beach Reef

Bri The Pom

i had a few mates in the middle that day caught heaps you just got to get there early to get your spot the mackerel don't shy away if anything all the bait in the water helps keep them there . that many on the reef has been happening for decades around this time of year and over the last 8 years i have seen alarge increase in mackerel numbers since they stopped the pros ring netting for them in qld and the bag limits changed for recos . if anything the economy benefits from this with many fishos waiting to target the macks down here for the season and spending alot of money to do so . the mackerel are migratory with them only in these parts for a third of the year and over the school holidays you get more boats around it does get a bit more quiet in febuary but still a good time to target them. these fish breed in big numbers and grow quickly with a huge appitite and the last couple of seasons i have never seen them as thick as now and i have fished for them for over 30 yrs

hey bri,mate as your boat is about the same size as mine where do you launch from? as I'm keen on getting into

some mack as it's been about ten years.

Hey Dassa,

I used to go through Talle bar, but had a scare coming back in last time, first time through currumbin last saturday. I try to do my homework and pick the tides and i watch the live stills on coastwatch ( currumbin ) anything else just ask.

Bri

haha mackerel fishing is not what i think you would call peacefull fishing when the rods go off and reels are screaming , lines crossing , people swearing , laughing , wahooing the last thing you think of is the other boats around you. to me its no diferent to tailor fishermen in a gutter on a surf beach shoulder to shoulder like on frazer every year the amount of baits in the water keep them there enough for everyone to get a few. the mackerel run down there is very adictive once you experienced it you can't wait for the next season, every line in the water can get taken at once by these speedsters and it's all hands on deck to sort it out.

the mackerel run down there is very adictive once you experienced it you can't wait for the next season, every line in the water can get taken at once by these speedsters and it's all hands on deck to sort it out.

I know exactly what you mean tugger. Had 2 trips this week and can't wait for the next one.

This morning was epic - we bagged out by 6am. Got them on baits of all size, as well as different size slugs. There would have been approx 50 boats out there this morning and everyone seemed to be getting fish.

We had 3 double hook-ups, and one triple hook-up - it was crazy. Plenty of other boats around us got double hook-ups today too.

Bit of chop and a southerly breeze may have been the difference?

Marty

I am green with envy today... Had a mate out this morning as well and as Marty said sounds like we all missed out on a awesome day... Mate had bagged out by 6.30 and spent the rest of the morning having slug casting practice ruined by excited spotties.. lucky buggers.. mean while I was at work.

Hope they hang around...

Archived