fluro mono or braid

rosstralia46

i am looking at buying a new sienna for bait fishing and throwing plastics for bream whiting flathead i just want to know what would be best and what do you guys prefer i like mono for bait fishing a it gives them a lil stretch and i can float bread out on top of the surface but was wondering what everyone else prefers and if anyone has used flurocarbon as there line

Mate, I recently spooled some 6lb vanish onto my light setup, which I use for plastics and hb's. It was a total disaster, the vanish has a great deal of memory and the knots were epic. I did this about two weeks ago, and am already nearly out of line (thankfully) due to knots. The lighter lures really aid in getting mega knots lol. Besides that, I could really tell the difference in touch as well, braid allows me to put a better action on lures, particularly surface lures, whereas fluro, due to the stretchiness, turns sharp lure action into something a bit more lethargic.....not good. Maybe other brands of fluro are different?

In short, I have tried it, and can't wait to get back to braid!!!!

Hope this helps,

Ryan.

Hey ross,mate I'm a big fan of the braided line and for the light weight you are looking for have a look at the crystal fire line iv'e got 2.7kg (6lb) and works a treat but always use a good leader somthing like vanish or black magic they have never let me down good luck

cheers dassa

In my opion different lines for different situatons. For all my lure fishing sp's, hb,s, blades, surface, whatever, I use braid, 2Lb up to 20lb and as dassa said use a decent leader, I like Nitlon and Yamatoyo as for braid I like Fins and Fireline crystal. And for my surf fishing or bait fishing in general I prefer mono, I like the Platypus platinum.

there are different flurocarbons made for use as a mainline, like sunline basic FC which don't have as much hard coating as the leader specific spools. but i've had no good experiences there lol. casting distance can be great as the fluro is quite springy and leaps off the spool with little friction, but can be quite a nightmare with tangles while you get used to it. i found no advantage and went back to braid after a few sessions

i generally prefer braid for most things, but trolling, floating baits etc mono definately has the advantage

throwing plastics and lures around no question braid is the way to go, with an exception of rolling hardbodies/cranking presentations where mono is good for shock absorption (i prefer braid again for casting distance but use a softer rod for moving presentations vs jigging presentations to provide some shock absorption)

cheers

Dan

Archived