Grassy Sweetlip Size Limits?

Angus

Hey guys,

Usually make a habit of releasing these guys as I have no idea the size limit.

Looking at the DPI site I dont find it clear as "Grassy Sweetlip" is not specifically listed under that name.

They have:

All emperors 25 min 5 per species

Emperor exceptions

Redthroat emperor (sweetlip emperor) 38 min 8

Long nose emperor 38 min 5

Spangled emperor 45 min 5

And:

All sweetlips

excluding redthroat emperor (sweetlip emperor) 25 min 5 per species

Does this mean the limit is only 25cm? That seems really small...

Anyway after catching a coupld around the 33-34cm mark today I just wanted to check.

Cheers.

Angus

The way they have displayed that info is actually pretty crap in my opinion. The fish we are talking about is referred to as 'Grass emperor (sweetlip)' and yet in the 'Emperor' section it is not mentioned as being an exception to the 25cm size limit and there are no exceptions mentioned in the 'Sweetlip'. It's only if you happen to look further/in mor depth that you come across 'Grass emperor (sweetlip)' alphabetically listed between 'Goldlip Pearl Oyster' and 'Javelin'.

I would hope no-one would keep one at 25cm anyway - but they could make it a heck of alot clearer/obvious that this species has its own size limit.

i reckon size limits are guidelines. for example whiting 23cm. i personally dont think it would be worth keeping a heap at 23. i think they should increase limits on whiting to atleast 30 and decrease bag limits. because you get a good fillet off most whiting above 30cm. thats just my opinion

pat

In the past I have found trying to track down the legal size for grassies difficult and confusing as well. I agree the information could be put in a much clearer format.

I find it bizarre that all the emeperors fall into the coral fin fish category and grassies fall into "other tidal species". As someone has already mentioned they did a crap job formatting the document. i.e. "All emperors 25cm" and then "emperor exceptions" and then grass emperor on a completely different page. Most average fishos wouldn't have a clue which fish fall into the coral fin fish category.

Even more confusing is that the idiots who drafted the web page have a line stating "all sweetlips 25cm excluding redthroat sweetlip." When they are referring to the morwong family but excluding redthroat emperor which are part of Lethrinus.

sorry to take it a bit off topic but do the grassy sweet lip have a red mouth/throat as well ? ive had a lot of confusion identifying them so ive been letting them go. on the most recent hand out i have it has sweetlip emperor 38cm , all sweetlips 25cm , then it has grass emperor (sweetlip) 30cm. do we catch all of them in the bay?

sorry to take it a bit off topic but do the grassy sweet lip have a red mouth/throat as well ? ive had a lot of confusion identifying them so ive been letting them go. on the most recent hand out i have it has sweetlip emperor 38cm , all sweetlips 25cm , then it has grass emperor (sweetlip) 30cm. do we catch all of them in the bay?

Grassy Sweetlip are common in the bay. Red throats may turn up from time to time but rarely. Although red throats are caught off moreton they are far more common up north. They do look a little similar but the red throats in put next to a grassy are dramatically more colourful in the red department...

Angus

• 4 weeks later...

and watch out for the bloody fisheries guys in moreton bay if you keep any grassies

last trip i did out with benno573 we got a few 40cm+grassies and the fishing inspector tried to fine us saying they were undersized spangled emporer

so make shure you know what is what

Archived