Re-powering options

Mr FeLiX

Hey guys and girls,

After a fair bit of careful consideration and a call to a reluctant insurance company, I've decided to re-power my 3.4Mtr stessl.

It currently has a 25Hp Tohatsu, circa 2000 model and whilst it's in great nic and starts whenever I want or need it too, it's just too much for my hull. The insurance company doesn't want to touch it due to the hull being rated to 18Hp. Fair enough, that's what it's rated at, so I realise that it's not a bad thing they refused me insurance.

I am reluctant to put the boat in the water without any type of insurance for everyones sake, so It's time to make decisions.

I am unsure of the value of this motor, it has a good service historhy and runs beautifully. Other 25Hp motors I've seen circa this era seem to fetch around $1500. Does this sound close? I'm after honest opinions here guys, as the price I get for a sale will be a down ayment on a new powerplant.

As such, obviously the debate rages. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, etc. Being rather environmentally minded I made the decision to go 4 stroke. My choices are between honda and yamaha. Looks like at the moment, I'll be going with a 9.9Hp.

At the risk of starting a debate, any opinions on the subject are extremely welcome and I will thank you all in advance.

I know sticking to the well known makes of motors gives a better piece of mind, but I stopped in at Yatala outboard wreckers recently and one of the mechanics there showed me these new motors some guy is selling through them. They are called Onyx (I think :unsure: ). He said they are Italian designed but Chinese built, I screwed my nose up when he said Chinese built but he made a good point when he said "but isn't everything these days? including major brand name stuff". Anyway he said the 10hp and the 15hp are the same weight as it is just a small difference in the carby. He also has one on his tinny and has had no trouble and thinks its great (sales pitch?). I am thinking of getting one in the furure as a 15hp is only $1600 (from memory).

Cheers

Brad

P.S I take no responsibility if these motors turn out s*#t lol :laugh:

Also known as Zongshen www.onyxmarine.com.au/

Hey Mr Felix,

Good call on the engine replacement and the insurance front, just wish more people could be as responsibly minded as yourself.

I would be looking at a 4st now as they are lighter, more economical, and cheaper than a few years ago. You might get a good deal going to a tohatsu dealer to upgrade, but wouldnt have any problem selling it off too as a well maintained Tohatsu will go for ever.

Thanks for the help so far everyone, I'm pretty new to the boating front so any advice is great :lol: . When it comes to advertising the motor for sale, where would be the best bet do you think? Obviously I will abvertise it here also, with a discount for all AFO members so keep that in mind :P

I think the price everywhere will start at about $1500, which with a AFO members discount should round out to about $1300 ;)

I think this is fair, well at least I hope it is

Felix

Stick it on Ebay mate. Good outboard motors sell for ALOT from what ive seen in the past. You get a lot more viewers there so should easily fetch $1200 to $1500. It is an awesome motor, but as Mick Fillet said the 18HP pulls nearly as hard. My mate has an 18HP Tohey on his tinny and it kept up with mine. Good luck with it :cheer:

Thanks Matt, good advice. I think Ebay may be the way to go as well, a lot more viewers true.

I'll be going either a 9.8, 9.9 or 10 Hp, cause both dad and the missus will be piloting the tinny as well and I don't need a whole lot of grunt. So long as it gets me from A-B, doesn't matter how quickly :whistle:

I've just done some research (youtube :whistle: ..) and found a few vids of some yanks running 12 foot punts with ony a 6Hp suzuki four stroke, and I was honestly amazed. One bloke in the boat and it planed well, 2 and not so well but moved efficiently.

Has anyone got any experience running a four stroke 6Hp motor on a small open dinghy?

Remember, my Stessl is only 3.4Mtrs and weighs next to nothing.

I've just done some research (youtube :whistle: ..) and found a few vids of some yanks running 12 foot punts with ony a 6Hp suzuki four stroke, and I was honestly amazed. One bloke in the boat and it planed well, 2 and not so well but moved efficiently.

Has anyone got any experience running a four stroke 6Hp motor on a small open dinghy?

Remember, my Stessl is only 3.4Mtrs and weighs next to nothing.

i got a 3mtr tinnie running a 9.9hp. its alright by ya self. put a few pots and another person in or the live bait drum with water in it and its slugish. wish i had a bigger motor.

i would go a 15 hp .

found the same as mick

we had 3 meter tinny we had with a 8 hp on ,it was sluggish .

u could get it to just plane with 2 people ,but one had to sit in right up the front and fuel tank in the middle and driver in the middle with arm stretched back to steer . we where young then so that's like 2 people at 65 to 70 kg .

your boat has floors and extra stuff in ?

Hey guys, crunch time. I've sold the 25 Tohie and it's getting picked up tomorow (hopefully). I've narrowed out my choices to a 2 stroke tohie 9.8, or a 4 stroke suzuki 6. Before everyone screams IT'S TOO SMALL!!, please read on.

I have three younger brothers and a father that quite like the outdoors and a bit of boating so therefore a 6 would be advantegous in the fact that anyone can pilot theboat without hassle. It's only pushing a 3.4Mtr hull with minimal weight as well. A young gent at Springwood Marine gave me some good advice in that whilst the 6 won't break any records or plane with two in the boat, it will comfortably propel the little stessl where it needs to go with a minimum of fuss or hassle. Also, 4 stroke :woohoo:

The 2 stroke Tohie on the other hand is a 9.8, so an extra 3 hp or so. Anyone driving it has to be licenced and it's a 2 stroke so it's louder, and obviously a bit of a 'dirtier motor', so to speak. It is, on the other hand slightly more in the grunt department, with a larger prop and so on, so forth.

Please help!!

Felix

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the help and advice.

I rang around and got a good deal on a 6Hp Mercury 2 stroke with a 5 year warranty which I picked up today. Hoping to head out and do the run-in period soon, and troll a couple of HBs whilst I'm at it :evil:

Thanks again guys

• 1 month later...
Hey guys and girls,

After a fair bit of careful consideration and a call to a reluctant insurance company, I've decided to re-power my 3.4Mtr stessl.

It currently has a 25Hp Tohatsu, circa 2000 model and whilst it's in great nic and starts whenever I want or need it too, it's just too much for my hull. The insurance company doesn't want to touch it due to the hull being rated to 18Hp. Fair enough, that's what it's rated at, so I realise that it's not a bad thing they refused me insurance.

I am reluctant to put the boat in the water without any type of insurance for everyones sake, so It's time to make decisions.

I am unsure of the value of this motor, it has a good service historhy and runs beautifully. Other 25Hp motors I've seen circa this era seem to fetch around $1500. Does this sound close? I'm after honest opinions here guys, as the price I get for a sale will be a down ayment on a new powerplant.

As such, obviously the debate rages. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, etc. Being rather environmentally minded I made the decision to go 4 stroke. My choices are between honda and yamaha. Looks like at the moment, I'll be going with a 9.9Hp.

At the risk of starting a debate, any opinions on the subject are extremely welcome and I will thank you all in advance.

who did you ring, those useless pricks at Club Marine? I recently got a fairly rotten Haines 490slc for basically nothing, took it to Arnolds and told him I was going to chuck a 150 on it (got a yamie 02 slatwater series 2 with seastar hydraulics 215hr for $5.5k) he was putting all new stringers transom and floor in anyway so he just beefed them up. Club Marine (useless PM me if you want to know details said) you will need an engineers report from haines to get insurance! I just rang NRMA and they said just a letter from the boat builder stating it will take that engine will be fine. The boat was originally rated for 120HP, let me tell you she gets up and goes!

Hey guys and girls,

who did you ring, those useless pricks at Club Marine? I recently got a fairly rotten Haines 490slc for basically nothing, took it to Arnolds and told him I was going to chuck a 150 on it (got a yamie 02 slatwater series 2 with seastar hydraulics 215hr for $5.5k) he was putting all new stringers transom and floor in anyway so he just beefed them up. Club Marine (useless PM me if you want to know details said) you will need an engineers report from haines to get insurance! I just rang NRMA and they said just a letter from the boat builder stating it will take that engine will be fine. The boat was originally rated for 120HP, let me tell you she gets up and goes!

As long as you both came out happy.

As far as NRMA goes,I`d avoid hitting or running over anyone/thing,they seem to have definition trouble,such as when is their house & contents flood insurance cover not flood insurance cover....when a flood happens apparently???

cheers, I may have to check that out, this is the run around I got with CM, first I got insurance while the boat was being built, but they never put the policy in, so it was not insured, then tried to get the insurance once engine was purchased (not fitted) and they knocked my back, so I said cancel the non existent policy, then a few weeks later a representative calls me about the non existent policy on the boat. WTF, who would you go with for insurance?

I pay the extra $ (compared to other mobs)on premiums with Suncorp,tell them exactly what you want to cover,tell them of any modifications etc,follow their gudelines,check your policy thoroughly when it arrives,get them to redo it if something is amiss.Don`t assume every thing is covered,go over with them what is and what is not covered.

I`ve never had a problem with them over the years,when I`ve made claims.

Archived