Plastics and Piers

goldnugget

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good Chrissy.

I have a question regards to using plastics at piers to target the likes of trevally.

At the local (Urangan), there is a heap of hardys and herring that are easy to jig up and bait, but everybody does it with limitted results (although I have seen huge trevally taken this way), and now and then you see the schools getting smashed underneath.

I was thinking of working some heavier or weighted plastics (due to the strong currents here) similar to offshore style bottom bashing, and wondered if anyone else has tried targeting larger fish off piers in this way and how productive (or not) it was.

Theres a comp coming around March and was thinking of trying something diferent to get an edge.

Thoughts and experiences on this are appreciated.

Jay

Thanks will look into them, I will also be getting some lures from Zim man here and give them a shot as well, just not sure of what kind of a reaction I would got from the locals, most of them fish live baits (and I have tried it too), but I'm thinking with so much bait around it may be worth trying something diferent to get these beasts attention and hooked up (and most likely smashed but thats half the fun).

i used to fish the pier at amity point on stradbroke island for kingfish. The hard part was landing them as they would almost always try and reef you on the pier. i had limited success fishing baits further out so by the time i had the fish in a little they were tired and more easily managed. plastics always seem to work well around piers.

Archived