Kayaked Raby Bay Canals

JamesMac

Hey everyone,

So my dad and I thought yep the sun is out lets try the kayaks out. So sure enough around 11:00 we were loading up a kayak on to the roof racks. having two yaks and one car we had to make 2 trips but we got it out there, Kudos to my dad (mac) for gettting it on the car alone, we were on the water by around 12. very wobbely at first could barely even get in :laugh: . but then we got around the marker and into a 25 knot head wind. Its quite difficult to battle a big head wind when you have never even used a kayak before, we found ourselves going over what seemed to be small waves we took a corner into the first shelted area we could find, which happen to be where i caught my self a load of trevally and Moses Perch. we didn't go out expecting a fish at all as the fresh water was obviously quite abundant. so we paddle around a bit and found our first spot as i tried to figure out how to get my head in the wind dad sat there quite happily watching me :laugh: . dad had his trusty super bream hanging out the back for a troll just in case something did get hungry. so we casted and paddled getting the feel of what we were doing. we fished there for a little bit before heading off into the wind again, we traveled up with the wind feeling as if it was even stronger we paddled for what seemed like eternity before we found another small spot to turn into. so we fished the for a little bit, dad took off trolling around while i just sat near some pontoons drifting around them and casting. The further up we went the water seemed to be getting dirtier and dirtier.so we finished up in that spot and decided to fight the wind one last time, traveled up and across a little bit to find the water ever darker. so we drifted around casted and still had no luck, so we decided to head back to where we were first. we drifted down and casted around the pontoons of which i knew. with still no luck we decided to head in, but we had a quick flick on the sand bar. I looked down it was pretty shallow i could touch the floor if i wanted, then a bow wave took off. I was amazed that some fished had survived in the fresh water. so we paddled around flicking everywhere in hope to catch it :woohoo: but we didn't :( so we went over to the beach fixed everything up and paddled homeward. as dad and decided to race each other back he thought to cheat by flicking water up and me and completely satchurating me:angry: so we got back and I flicked water at him :laugh: . all in all a fishless day but was excelent to get out in the kayak for the first time. can not wait to get out again and actually have a crack at some fish :silly:

Thanks for reading :)

hi guys

we had a ball

as they say (wisdom comes with age):evil:

and when James mac said ill race you back. my paddle accidentally slipped out of the water early and jimbo copped a paddle full of water and dad was off and never to be caught :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: all in all it was a great day.

a couple more training lessons to get the feel of the yaks and we should start looking at wello point around the mangroves

nice boys. When I popped in there last week with Angus, I was getting some good surface strikes on Bubble pop 35's in the clear yellow colour, cast up behind the pontoons and being brought back past the pontoon as close as possible. Had a couple of strikes on the landing of the lure.... not sure if it was just the day but that seemed to be going ok.

Thats awesome guys, would have been nice to get out for a fish , or excercise!

Jamesmac, from my knowledge, it can take upto 3 and in some cases of extreme rainfall, 4 weeks for the water to be clean and clear again.

I went to the gold coast last weekend and it was filthy, but still caught couple of bream.

But certainly much more enjoyable when the weather is good and water is clear again.

cheers

ty

Archived