Heavy Baitcast Setup

Clevo_31

Hi all.

With all the overtime and holiday rates I have earnt this week a few bills will be paid off and there will still be enough left over for a new rod setup after savings, YAY!!!

I want to take a rod to Weipa with me, as I leave on the 13th of this month for two weeks. I was previously going to pick up a Pfluegar Trion 5-10kg baitcasting rod (I can pick one up for about $70!!!) but am sort of leaning towards buying along the lines of a Daiwa this time, as I have been very impressed with the quality of their products so far.

I am looking at either an Advantage, tierra or exceller in the 10-20lb baitcaster ratings for each. Is it really worth the extra dollars for the advantage over the tierra, or tierra over the exceller? I expect the rod to be put through a fair amount of abuse after some of the stories I hear from up north and I dont want to buy something of lesser quality just to have it break in the middle of a fight.

I plan on matching the rod up to a Daiwa Exceller baitcaster, unless somebody can give me a reason to do otherwise.

What are peoples recomendations? Which rod? Which Reel? Line rating(I am thinking of 50lb platypus superbraid)??

I just want an outfit that I can take on a plane, will be fairly light, and when I land will put hurt on some big fish, maby even small sharks without breaking the bank. This will be a traveling rod, and can expect to be taken to north queensland, vanuatu, and tassie within the next year or two, so it needs to be either a 2 peice or under 6 foot.

I really am in the dark on this as I really only have breaming experience, so I'm looking to everyone on here for advice and will really appreciate any opinions :) .

Thanks heaps in advance,

Jordan.

PS: I like Daiwa but am open to suggestions for other brands.

ive owned a tierra baitcaster in hte past and it was a good rod, own an advantage spin and it's also a good rod

plenty of power etc

my biased opinion is you should have a look at a curado for the reel instead, but dont want to start a daiwa vs shimano argument

cheers

Dan

I have the Daiwa TDA 153HSTA Supertuned and I absolutely loved it. It's smooth, looks good and very easy to cast once you get the magnetic cast control pinned down. Had it loaded up with 30lb Bionic braid and pairing with my Daiwa Rapier, its a breeze casting hardbodies all day long with very little accidents (i.e. bird nest).

Not sure if Daiwa has the Tierra or Advantage in less than 6' though but personally , I dont think there are alot of differences between the 2. Mate of mine has the Tierra in 8-14lb (2pc) and he absolutely loves it. His Tierra combo is over a year old and gotten him on plenty of nice fish and it still continue to perform like new even though he is pretty rough with it.

Hope that helps :)

Maby I should have said I was looking at shimano products and got reviews on Daiwa?? =p

I would love a curado but it is a little out of my price range. I am trying to keep this around $300 for the whole package, instead of just that ammount spent on a reel. Hence why I was thinking of going with the Exceller, as it seems to offer the most bang-for-buck in the price range.. I do have a cheapo Tokushima baitcaster I picked up, unawares that the brand was a cheap knock-off. It seems like an ok reel but am not trusting of its quality, and don't want it to die as soon as it cops a bit of abuse...

Have picked up the raiders and they feel ok but to be honest I don't take to them, they don't feel sturdy to me. I'm sure they are but I don't feel confident in it, maby thats becuase moments earlier I was holding it next to a T-curve?

I also picked up a rod made by a company called "BOSS" in BCF yesterday, and it felt like a good-quality rod. Was a 12-15kg(did I read that right????) in baitcast for $180. But have not found any info on them on the net. Seems to my like another lesser-quality brand? Does anybody have any experience with these?

Have held the Advantage now and am very impressed with the rod overall, I think I need to hold it next to a tierra...

ive owned a tierra baitcaster in hte past and it was a good rod, own an advantage spin and it's also a good rod

plenty of power etc

my biased opinion is you should have a look at a curado for the reel instead, but dont want to start a daiwa vs shimano argument

cheers

Dan

i'd also back the curado over the other baitcasters mentioned based on personal experience. if you have a read through all the previous reports all the barra fishos are using them as well. smoother components and smoother drag when fully loaded up.

mate all i can suggest is for your dollars try and get a graphite rod as you will be casting it all day and as for the reel try a get something that feels good also because you will be casting heaps.

$300 isnt a lot these days and in my book wont get you something that suits the abuse theat big fish will dish out. shimano make a lot of budget stuff that will do the job but i think you should look and the Pfluegar range for bang for buck, they make good rods and reels for the budget market.

i personally like the loomis range of rods and diawa alphas but you would need to double your budget i think.

has anybody had any luck purchasing rods/reels from american ebay???

I've had a bit of a frenzy in the last couple of months on US Ebay, and it's been a pleasant and financially rewarding experience. I'm careful though only to deal with sellers with better than 99% positive feedback. I have to reign it in, the missus is starting to notice the shiny new reels beside the old dungers.

Have a look at reelfishingdeals.com he is a good reliable seller and has what your after as in curados or zillions have a look its all good...matt

Great site. Very good prices especially when you consider he offers free shipping. I've bought some reels cheaper on Ebay, but with shipping added I payed more than his prices.

has anybody had any luck purchasing rods/reels from american ebay???

Mate try Bass pro in the states I got a Browning low profile for 140 delivered and it is unreal I love it B)

/>http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Fishing-Midas-LowProfile-Baitcast-Reels/product/10205095/-1644663

Cheers Gaz

ps it's loaded with 30lb braid

Well have gone with the Diawa Advantage. Used it a few times now and am very impressed with the build overall. The rod feels very nice and I can cast a fair way with it, even with very light baits/lures.

As for the reel, Picked up a curado on the weekend and was very impressed. I'll be honest, I didn't want to like it at all, I wanted to pick it up and pass it off as an overrated peice of gear. But think when I have the money later in the year, i will be buying one lol.

Will deal with my silly Tokushima for now... Hopefully will post a report and pictures of the trip in 3 weeks time :laugh: . Cant wait!!!

Thanks for the help all.

Jordan

Archived