Sovereign Islands yakfest 2/1/11

Keen-as-fisho

The team, Rocket75, Dan25, Justin71 and my self hit up the canals in and around Sovereign Islands. We were blessed with sunshine and a light breeze and best of all no bloody rain :woohoo: The water is clearing relatively quick with the high tide fairly clear but low is still poo brown. Justin got on the board first up with a flatty at 47cm...

post-6136-144598563412_thumb.jpg

post-6136-144598563418_thumb.jpg

I was up next after casting tight into a boil with my favorite Bushies top dog in the phantom colour which is getting hard to find...

post-6136-144598563422_thumb.jpg

Rocket tangled with a good fish which I had called for a horse bream, which turned out to be the catch of the day, a very nice Morwong at 42cm (if my memory serves me correctly)....

post-6136-144598563426_thumb.jpg

post-6136-14459856343_thumb.jpg

By this stage Dan still had the duck on his back. We made our way to the eastern side and hit the pontoons, boats and concrete walls for mixed bags of bream, flatties, many mosses pearch, trevally and butter bream on sp's.

After a half hour or so of casting, I heard a faint whoo hoo in the background but didn't really take much notice. Then I herd it again and raced over to see Dan land his 40ish Big eye trevally, needless to say he was stoked....

post-6136-144598563434_thumb.jpg

Bream of the day went to Justin at 27cm FL (memory recollection again). My biggest bream went 24cm FL. We were hoping for more bream but didn't get many, we did however see some rather large mullet chomping on the pontoons.

It was a great day on the water with the guys despite the conditions ie the boat traffic, at one stage I wish I had my mal to ride the wake the bigger boats put out :silly:

As KAF said, conditions were nice to start with but detereated considerably over the 6 hours or so we were on the water.

The amount of chop in the main channel plus the wake from 100's of pleasure craft taking advantage of the fine weather made for very lumpy and sometimes unpredictable conditions. They were without a doubt the messiest waters I have been out in and was greatful for the company knowing that if I managed to fall out someone would be there to laugh at me...and perhaps lend a hand too.

Overall though the little Hobie Sport handled it easily, though I did get a bit of a wet arse with waves coming over the sides at times.

I ticked of two new species today with a butter bream on SP and the Slate Bream/Morwong/Painted Sweetlip/Mother-In-Law fish that also took a little Damiki Grub on a TT 1/8 (?) jig head. Was a great little fight, and there was quite a lot of 4lb screaming off my 1500 symetre, but he was kind enough to head to open water so my 4lb leader held out and I now have a new PB and some great memories of the experience.

Ended up with 3 species all up as I started my day with a small flatty before the conditions chopped up. Also had larger flatty 50-60 follow an SP all the way to the surface, even sticking his nose out of the water, but alas he didn't open his gob and glided off to scare more bait and frustrate more fishos :)

Thanks for the company fellas, always great to spend some time with familiar faces and meet some new ones.

rod

Mate that main channel was a lumpy pain in the arse even in steve's poly! awesome craft to fish from tho, seen kaf standing up casting from his Hobie then decided to hit the opposite bank and pulled a dozen good size bream in no time, Steve pulled a fish a cast for a while there.Congrats on the the pb too rocket! I got a pb butterbream too lol

Cheers

Mate that main channel was a lumpy pain in the arse even in steve's poly! awesome craft to fish from tho, seen kaf standing up casting from his Hobie then decided to hit the opposite bank and pulled a dozen good size bream in no time, Steve pulled a fish a cast for a while there.Congrats on the the pb too rocket! I got a pb butterbream too lol

Cheers

Good stuff, I wanted to hit that bank but didn't feel like playing chicken with those boats hooning past :S looks like we missed out.

post-6374-144598563456_thumb.jpg

Got a nice fish very early ;) Caught a few bream on surface, 2 nice ones then got pretty much the same as you guys minus the Slatey before we ran into you. Hot bite on the flats on the other side where we went. Beau got the biggest fish of the day on a shallow Chubby, took a awhile to get it back:laugh:

Thought It would be best to add be VERY careful when handling stingrays especially the Whiptail species.

These guys can drive that spike past their eyes and will do there best to do it. Made sure that the spike was in the net and had a good hold of the tail before attempting to get the lure back.

Archived