North Coast Trip (Barra Park)

Angus

Well headed up to Peregian to visit my grandmother for X-mas.

While I was there I popped into the barra park for a visit with the aim of hearing my Stella 1000 sing.

Glad I did with a PB barra from the park going a bit over 70cm.

Really tested my little Norstream rod out as well but she handled it really well!

I was also pretty happy as for the 3 hours I was there I saw between the 30-40 people there 3 other fish caught. 1 barra, 1 bream and 1 little jewy.

Cheers guys.

Angus.

post-63-144598563549_thumb.jpg

Nice barra Gus. That sux how there was 30+ people and only 1 barra was caught for a barra park but.

Ah look I am probably being unfair. Its a big place I could not see everywhere at once.

They really seemed to be coming on the bite when I had to leave as well (right after landing that fish).

I was only slightly dissapointed to begin with as I was expecting it to go off with all the low thick clouds, oppressive humidity etc.

Although I didnt leave dissapointed at all :)

Still dont know why those park barra have deformed top jaws? Would have been interesting with 200g of drag lol

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Maybe from being contantly hooked since they were smaller fish? Or just the breed stock used?

And yeah it was a good fight. Walked me up and down one side before I could land it with a lot of drag pulled.

Mind you, 45cm's of wild snapper at wello probably tested the combo more.

Angus

Nice one Gus :)

We did a trip there last week on Thursday I think. Much like your trip, apart from my barra, I only saw one other guy catching barra. He was using live mullet and caught a couple nice barra, a small jew and a big jack! Another kid caught a small jew, and I managed a nice bream and a 58 cm barra, after loosing two other nice fish to bust offs. All my fish were on pellets.

I followed the guidance on here about 6 lb trace, no swivel, light braid etc. What tactics did you use?

I went up a few months back... Lost a good size barra and caught a few that were no bigger than 35cm caught on those pellets they provide

late in the afternoon I decided to change tactics after no luck on the pellets. So I pulled out some uneaten bread rolls from lunch, put the ham on the hook and bam! I lost another 3 good fish due to my knot tieing skills. Then finally I landed a great sized bream. 36cm from memory

while I was there these guys caught plenty of large barra on either prawns or pillies.

Just some food for thought.

I'm keen to go back one day with plenty of ham to use haha

Nice one Gus :)

We did a trip there last week on Thursday I think. Much like your trip, apart from my barra, I only saw one other guy catching barra. He was using live mullet and caught a couple nice barra, a small jew and a big jack! Another kid caught a small jew, and I managed a nice bream and a 58 cm barra, after loosing two other nice fish to bust offs. All my fish were on pellets.

I followed the guidance on here about 6 lb trace, no swivel, light braid etc. What tactics did you use?

I never use a swivel when joining braid to leader/trace...

My rig was very similar except 4lb braid.

I also used the pellets they provide.

I would be keen to head back and do a night time live baiting session though...

Angus

Very nice gus glad ya having a good xmas break.... myself and the wife went there on our honeymoon for a bit nice cloud cover humidity was good i caught nothing ( busted off 3 times just as landing) but the wife landed a good sized one..

Nice one mate. Lucky to go out on your honeymoon :P

I was also that lucky :)

Angus

good on ya gus nice one on the light stuff:) ive been to this park many many times even done a couple of all nighters and it is very up and down but i always walk out stoked. i have always landed at least one or two good sizers and lost other even bigger ones in the big boys pond. most of these fish are very smart and i found the fresher the bait or even livies like small whiting or herrings work well thou presentation is a major factor as well as they wont take much if ya leader or hook is visible, the pellets and small hooks do work but again presentation the key. lures work too but only when there on the chew and still can be very hit and miss as i said they are smart guys, the best sess i ever had there was after a 2 weeks of rain it wasnt holidays and it was still very overcast and humid my mate and i caught around 20 each and lost around the same amount every cast we were on and the wasnt another person there. they must of been starving lol. cheer and keep it up fellow afo ers.

Archived