Joining leader to a bimini twist

plugga

how heavy is there line. on my lighter stuff 30lb braid and under i just use a simple albright without and i havent broken the leader yet for everything heavier i use a knot call ag knot (mid knot, pr knot)

Heres a good website i found on the net one day

/>http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4linetesting.htm#KNOT_Tests.

It shows you alot of things to do with line like the real bracking strain of fishing line and knot strength. Hope this helps

Bit more info required there matey,

Is the main line mono or braid, and what breaking strain?

Is the leader mono, flurocarbon or wire and what breaking strain?

Does the join need to wind on to the spool?

Lots of knowledge on the site if you ask the right question.

Cheers.

Well, I reckon you'll get a few responses here and you'd be best to try them all and make your own mind up.

If I was looking for max strength on the lighter line, I would do a bimini in the braid and join it to the leader with an albright.

I haven't fished heavy for some years, but my favourite was a bimini in the braid, plaited double in the mono and join the two with a cats paw.

New and old knots are evolving all the time and there may be some better ones these days, but those are my personal choices.

Good luck.

Cheers fellas.

what percentages are the albrights? like are they strong

Don't put too much faith in the percentages quoted in the books, use them as a rough guide only.

Two people tying the same knot with the same line will often return different results. One person tying the same knot with different brands of line can give different results. There are so many types of line these days and every one adds another variable.

I encourage you to test your own knots to destruction with the mainline and leader you intend to use. Get to know where it will fail and how much pressure it will take.

Every time you get a bust off, you (hopefully) learn a lesson. Better to learn a few lessons in the back yard before you go.

Even then you will still get dusted, but hopefully it will be less frequently.

Happy tying.

I've only ever used lighter gear when using biminis plugga, but I found the advanced albright a damn good knot

What is the point of doubling your line when fishing light ? Doesn't this defeat the purpose somewhat ? (Genuine questions, not having a go at you - just curious).

As for the thread question; I use a double uni knot to join braid to leader (whether doubled main or not)

I've only ever used lighter gear when using biminis plugga, but I found the advanced albright a damn good knot

What is the point of doubling your line when fishing light ? Doesn't this defeat the purpose somewhat ? (Genuine questions, not having a go at you - just curious).

As for the thread question; I use a double uni knot to join braid to leader (whether doubled main or not)

We all know the weakest point in any line is generally regarded to be the knot whether it's the terminal knot or the join of line and leader. By doubling the line the load is spread and a stronger join is the result. When using say, 4lb Fireline as an example, the double only needs to be a few inches long and the amount of drag it produces is minimal but the amount of strength it adds to the join is considerable. I don't always use a double, only if I think I'm going to need to apply a bit of pressure such as fishing around structure. Often I simply use a single strand Albright and set the drag accordingly.

I still get it wrong from time to time, but thats what makes it interesting.

Regular albright to bimini for me. Easy to tie and very strong. In most knot comparison test I have read it doesn't come ouut the strongest but is right up there. Hell of a lot easier to tie than some of the others too meaning you are more likely to see consistent results. Also holds up very well in prolonged fights.

Only ever use albright or variations of albright my self.

Never bother with bimini for braid to mono/fluro a waste of time.

ALWAYS double the braid when tying lay the wraps neatly with both strands of the braid parralell to each other up and back.

For your 15lb braid to 20lb leader albright or improved albright 7or 8 wraps up 6 or 7 back.

For heavy braid 30lb+ to heavy leader 50lb+ have been using Harro's variation, great knot. Google it.

good info, just wondering. do you use jsut the normal albright or the "improved" albright?

cheers

I just use the regular. 50lb braid to 80lb mono is pretty much impossible to break with gloved hands.

If you try the same with something like a uni to uni with the braid side doubled you will break it with ease.

I believe the bimini is important as its role is not only to double the line but is also a shock absorber. Having said that I don't bother with it for braid 20lbs and under.

good info, just wondering. do you use jsut the normal albright or the "improved" albright?

cheers

I just use the regular. 50lb braid to 80lb mono is pretty much impossible to break with gloved hands.

If you try the same with something like a uni to uni with the braid side doubled you will break it with ease.

I believe the bimini is important as its role is not only to double the line but is also a shock absorber. Having said that I don't bother with it for braid 20lbs and under.

Challenge ! :laugh: One day we'll have to have a AFO challenge day.

So far I will put up

a Uni/Uni against Dom's Albright and

my Alvey against a spinning or baitcast reel.

Here's a good rainy day exercise. Rattle around in your tackle for some braid and leader, the lighter the better for this test as you will need to be able to break it.

Take a length of leader about 60cm long and tie it to the braid using say, a uni to uni. On the other end of the leader, using the same braid, attach with a your choice of knots, perhaps a single strand albright.

Now put on gloves and pull on the two ends until one of the knots fails. Repeat it a couple of times if you like to improve the reliability of the trial. Remeber to always retie both knots, it is inaccurate to test a new knot against a previously stressed one. Work though your range of knots as a process of elimination.

I've done this test many times and I know for sure that the knots I personally tie with the line that I use are the best ones for me. You may come up with different results than me but you will work out the best knots for you with your line.

Archived