I need your help on a new boat.

pantherman

Hi guys, pleeeease can you help me. I am looking at buying a NEW boat package. The main area of fishing would be Pumistone Passage(Bribie End), and on a good day, just out to get some winter whiting out the front.

85% of the time, 2 of us will be lure fishing, flicking for flathead, bream etc. I think I definately want the 4stroke motor this time, as I will be doing a lot of trolling, but an electric motor is not out of the question down the track. I also really want Tiller steer to have as much fishing room as possible. The ones I have narrowed it down to are.

1. Stessl Edgetracker 4.25 Tournament, with a 40hp Suzuki. The quote given also had a Lowrance HDS5 sounder(may be over the top, but I didn't want a cheapie sounder). $17790. Without the sounder around $16700

2. Stacer 3.99 Proline angler with a 30hp elec start yammy. $14329

3. Stacer 4.29 Proline angler, 30hp yammy $16500

4. Blue Fin Mangrove Jack 4.2m , 40hp yammy $18000

5. Horizon Northerner 415 , 30hp merc elec start $16950

Feel free to have your say, good thoughts, bad experiences etc. I had heard that stessl were bad in the early days, but have they lifted their game recently?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Pantherman.

Hi I have a479 nomad stacer and I would never buy another stacer. They are not that great of a boat with alt of Tiny problems that need to get fixed. Trying to get telwater to fix under manufacturer warranty is like trying to find a needle in an ocean. My boat is 2010 model nomad 479 stacer . I'd stay well awAy from stacer

I've got a Bluefin 4.3 centre console (not what your after, I know) with a 40 mariner, the only fault I've got is the motor is a bit small, a 60 would suit it better but the hull is max rated to 40hp :( Also now that I've owned it for about 4 years I'm keen to get into a side steer or something similar to the skeeter thats up for sale at the moment, just don't have the dollars. So yeah my opion is similar to Beau's, go bigger and have a look at what Bluefin has to offer. Also have a look at Ally craft.

I've got a Bluefin 4.3 centre console (not what your after, I know) with a 40 mariner, the only fault I've got is the motor is a bit small, a 60 would suit it better but the hull is max rated to 40hp :( Also now that I've owned it for about 4 years I'm keen to get into a side steer or something similar to the skeeter thats up for sale at the moment, just don't have the dollars. So yeah my opion is similar to Beau's, go bigger and have a look at what Bluefin has to offer. Also have a look at Ally craft.

Good point. I was over at Karee marine today. He had an allycrafy 4.25shadow pro, with all lights, bilge pump, everything, could do for around $17500. Apparently Allycraft no longer exist, and have been bought out by quintrex. All warranties still hold. Looked a great boat.

Check out the Sea Jay range as well. Deeper V and a good range of configurations. I have been happy with my Sea Jay Territory with a 40hp yammie on the back. I also like the look of the Bluefin boats, but have never owned one.

Must admit, I had looked at the SeaJay 4.2 Territory. Great looking boat. I would probably have to come back to a 2 stroke, as it was a little dearer with the 4stroke. Looks tough and sturdy.

4.15 blue fin estuary treeker 40hp mercury 2 stroke electric start with trim tilt electric bow mount plate bildge pumps acchor light and nav lights 30 lt bait and 80 live all plumbed pumps etc sideconsole for $17295 and theres a 3 month wait to be built and can be painted in any colour scheme am at bald hills if u would like a closer look or a ride

Check out the Sea Jay range as well. Deeper V and a good range of configurations. I have been happy with my Sea Jay Territory with a 40hp yammie on the back. I also like the look of the Bluefin boats, but have never owned one.

Plus 1 for sea jay. I did a fair bit of research before I bought mine and am a big fan of them....

Check out AQUAMASTER`s range of boats at Australian Marine Centre at Springwood. Those guys are great to deal with, I have the 4.75m version with a 60 E-tec evenrude open plate boat tiller steer. Its a little on the heavy side but very stable and dry.

Thanks for your posts guys. At this stage, am leaning back towards the 4.2 Sea Jay Territory.

Has the best of both, nice and deep in the middle, yet still has the casting platform up the front.

Would be no trouble at all going out in the bay in the right conditions.

With a 4 stroke, from memory came in around the $17000

Keep your thought coming.:)

try Bribie boats, they stock Stessco my last boat before I upgraded they were selling some great specials dicounted relly heavy the boat was great in the Bay

Funny you should say that. I was looking at the 4.30sf catcher in the Stessco. Looks like a nice boat, with full floor, and casting deck. Used to have a 4m stessco about 15yrs ago, never missed a beat.:cheer:

try Bribie boats, they stock Stessco my last boat before I upgraded they were selling some great specials dicounted relly heavy the boat was great in the Bay

Gave the boys a call. Stessco catcher SF430, with a 30hp 4 stroke Mercury, came in at $12650

Not bad buying.

Also just went to another dealer today, the Quintrex 420 Explorer Trophy with a 30 elec start 4stroke merc, came in at $14400. Lovely tidy boat.

Starting to get a headache.

cant stress enough to listen to the "always buy bigger" advice, you will want to go out further and esp being off bribie you'll want to head out into the northern bay and out the front eventually.

if i had to buy a new 4m-ish tinny these days it'd prob be an origin 4x4

make sure whatever you buy you've got at least 3mm on the bottom, i've got what is basically a stessco hurricane and it does well in the bay but not the sort of boat you'd want to subject to sharp 20kt chop too often on the way home

you could also have a look at the range from polycraft as these are tough as with 10mm thick poly hulls (no corrosion threat either)

i'm not certain on prices of an origin or poly build but in terms of specs on paper these are what i'd go for myself

/>http://www.originboats.com.au/4x4_series.html
/>http://www.polycraft.com.au/450_drifter_open_boat.php

of the models you listed, i would go with the BF mangrove jack, optioned with 2.5mm sides

cant stress enough to listen to the "always buy bigger" advice, you will want to go out further and esp being off bribie you'll want to head out into the northern bay and out the front eventually.

if i had to buy a new 4m-ish tinny these days it'd prob be an origin 4x4

make sure whatever you buy you've got at least 3mm on the bottom, i've got what is basically a stessco hurricane and it does well in the bay but not the sort of boat you'd want to subject to sharp 20kt chop too often on the way home

you could also have a look at the range from polycraft as these are tough as with 10mm thick poly hulls (no corrosion threat either)

i'm not certain on prices of an origin or poly build but in terms of specs on paper these are what i'd go for myself

/>http://www.originboats.com.au/4x4_series.html
/>http://www.polycraft.com.au/450_drifter_open_boat.php

of the models you listed, i would go with the BF mangrove jack, optioned with 2.5mm sides

do you know of the price range on them at all nadders

sorry mate not really sure, bit of a pain not having approx prices listed on the manuf. websites but there are a few 2010 poly 4.5 drifters from 7-10k on boatpoint (hull only) and i'd estimate the origin 4x4 would be around 9-10k for the hull?

may be out of OP budget getting a new fitout, so possibly might be worth looking at the 2nd hand market, i'd just hate to see you limit yourself to the glassy stuff when you're so close to the great inshore areas and nthn bay around bribie

cheers

Dan

I agree with your thinking. The boats I originally mentioned look great, but may be a little low in depth if I have to go in the bay. Which brings me to my next question. I still want the quietness and all the benefits of a four stroke.

Would you go the Stessco SF430 with the 30hp Merc, 4stroke for $12650,or a quote I got today, with a Seajay Territory 4.2m with a 25Etec. The price on water was $14200. Don't know much about the etec, tried to read other threads. He said the 25 would do the same job as a 30etc, and save me approx $800. Whats your thoughts?

Pantherman.

You would be very dissappointed with only a 30hp motor put a load in your hull and it would struggle to get on plane.

For keen pricing and genuine after sales service talk to Brian at Wondall Rd marine. ( Stesco and mercury] or his son Mick at Coorparoo marine for bluefin and mercury.

I have known Brian since the 1960s and Mick since he was a toddler.

They will both give you good advice without any high pressure sales or bull. I personally would lean towards Brian but the bluefin hulls have the reputation.

Cheers

Ray

looking at the specs on paper i would definately go the sf430, 3mm bottoms and sides vs 2.0mm bottom/1.6 sides on the seajay.

i've been happy with the ride in my stessco (its actually a 4seasons but made in the same place, albo marine)

lots of mixed emotions out there on the e-tecs, hard to find someone who doesnt either love them or hate them. won't put my 2c in as i've never owned one

but at least on paper i'd be more inclined to go with the stessco for the hull alone (not to mention a few grand cheaper). merc has a pretty good reputation too

you could spend the difference on upgrading to a bigger motor too, 30hp may be sufficient but i'm sure the rig would get along better with a 40

cheers

Dan

Look at 2nd hand, and agree with nads go a bit bigger because you will want to go further out, i sold my 4.80 stessco for a second hand 6metre glass, i would at least look at 5metres plus so I would look at a good second hand boat, I sold mine for thousands less than I'd paid after only 6months.

Thanks for your help guys, I have tried to take everything on board, as well as pros and cons.

Having started with about a selection of 20 boats a couple of months ago, and with your input over the last few days, I think I have culled it to four. This is different to the ones that I started with this post, taking into consideration to go a little bigger. At the same time, I dont want to go too big, as I mainly fish estuaries, and only just venture into the bay slightly. Also, being a shiftworker, I get quite a lot of days off mid week, so I would be on my own on those occasions, whilst my poor buddies are working(Never Mind).

So the four are with the deeper boats the first two-

1. Stessco SF430, 40Merc 4 stroke $12650

2. SeaJay Territory 4.2m, 25ETEC $14200

3. Quintrex Explorer Trophy 4.2m, 30merc 4 stroke $15987

4. Stessl Edgetracker Tournament 4.25m, 40Suzuki, 4stroke $16200

Looking forward to showing my final selection. Will keep taking all your guys facts into consideration.

Feel free to give a 1,2,3,4 in priority, as to what You would buy in the selections above.

Again, thanks for all your help, you have been great.

Pantherman, what sort of motor did you have in mind?

EFI or carby

Power tilt and trim or manual

Manual or electric start

Only reason I ask is -

I like the sound of the stessco only for the 3mm bottom and sides, but the transom weight is only 95kg.

The base model of mercs 40hp 4 stroke is 93kg dry weight, that motor is carbureted, gas assist tilt and trim and manual start next model up is EFI but the dry weight is 98kg..

Do some reseaech on the ETEC`s, just as quiet as a 4stroke and not much between them in the fuel consumption..

Only reason I went with ETEC is the service price and period..

Thanks for your help guys, I have tried to take everything on board, as well as pros and cons.

Having started with about a selection of 20 boats a couple of months ago, and with your input over the last few days, I think I have culled it to four. This is different to the ones that I started with this post, taking into consideration to go a little bigger. At the same time, I dont want to go too big, as I mainly fish estuaries, and only just venture into the bay slightly. Also, being a shiftworker, I get quite a lot of days off mid week, so I would be on my own on those occasions, whilst my poor buddies are working(Never Mind).

So the four are with the deeper boats the first two-

1. Stessco SF430, 40Merc 4 stroke $12650

2. SeaJay Territory 4.2m, 25ETEC $14200

3. Quintrex Explorer Trophy 4.2m, 30merc 4 stroke $15987

4. Stessl Edgetracker Tournament 4.25m, 40Suzuki, 4stroke $16200

Looking forward to showing my final selection. Will keep taking all your guys facts into consideration.

Feel free to give a 1,2,3,4 in priority, as to what You would buy in the selections above.

Again, thanks for all your help, you have been great.

here's my pick mate and the reasonings behind it

1. Stessco SF430, 40Merc 4 stroke- 3mm bottom sheet, good motor

4. Stessl Edgetracker- good motor, v-nose punt but heard they're alright in chop

2. SeaJay Territory- sea jays have a decent rep, but i doubt a 25etec will be enough for this setup

3. Quintrex Explorer Trophy- if you could turn this into a hornet trophy with a 40hp it'd go up in the list, it's fairly well tied with the territory on my list purely because of the 25 etec

if the territory could be given a 40hp it'd go to #2, but the stessco is gonna stay at #1 cause it's got an extra mm on the bottom vs all the others in the list

still recommend getting a price on a poly :P

Nads,

Thanks for your great feedback.

I am thinking along the same lines.

Although the Quintrex does come with a 30ELHPT EFI Four stroke.

I am still unsure on the ETEC. Just feel I am underpowered. I rang them back, and for $700 cheaper, I can get the Suzuki 25DF25V motor, 4 stroke, matched with the territory. Suzuki dont do a 30, and the 40 is too heavy for the boat. I still feel it is underdone, but saleman says it will be more that enough.

In saying all that, the Territory and the Stessco nearly look exactly the same, stessco being 4.3m

Probably doesn't have quite the finish or nice ride as the Territory, but a lot cheaper.

here's my pick mate and the reasonings behind it

1. Stessco SF430, 40Merc 4 stroke- 3mm bottom sheet, good motor

4. Stessl Edgetracker- good motor, v-nose punt but heard they're alright in chop

2. SeaJay Territory- sea jays have a decent rep, but i doubt a 25etec will be enough for this setup

3. Quintrex Explorer Trophy- if you could turn this into a hornet trophy with a 40hp it'd go up in the list, it's fairly well tied with the territory on my list purely because of the 25 etec

if the territory could be given a 40hp it'd go to #2, but the stessco is gonna stay at #1 cause it's got an extra mm on the bottom vs all the others in the list

still recommend getting a price on a poly :P

yeah as i said i can't comment on the ride of the territory (though old scaley i think said he was happy with his?) but for what its worth, i think member leighton has a stessco catcher 420 and is happy with it, he does a bit of close inshore work as well chasing the mackies

i reckon as ray said you'd be dissapointed with a 25 or 30hp on whatever you choose

hope you can reach a decision. i spose the best way would be to test drive the boats also (will they let you?) that way all speculation can be cast aside

yeah as i said i can't comment on the ride of the territory (though old scaley i think said he was happy with his?) but for what its worth, i think member leighton has a stessco catcher 420 and is happy with it, he does a bit of close inshore work as well chasing the mackies

i reckon as ray said you'd be dissapointed with a 25 or 30hp on whatever you choose

hope you can reach a decision. i spose the best way would be to test drive the boats also (will they let you?) that way all speculation can be cast aside

Mate, as Dan says, I have been happy with the Territory. Mine is a 4.35 with a 40 yammie 2 stroke and it gets out of the hole very quickly with a couple of people in the boat and is comfortable with a full load of camping gear and 3 average humans. Not sure if 25hp or 30hp would be enough to make you happy, though.

I got mine through Stones Cnr Marine and they are a dealer for both Sea Jay and Yamaha, so suggest at least talking to them. It is a big decision, but you will probably be happy with any of your top 3. There are times I wish I had a bigger boat, but since I like to fish when it suits me, it is important to me that I can launch and retrieve solo, so this size is perfect for that.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, just thought I would get back with my final selection.

Finally bought the boat the other day, it is still being completed. another 4-6 weeks.

Decided on the Stessco SP4.29, 3mm Bottom and Sides, 30hp 4 stroke Elec Trim and tilt Yamaha, Front casting deck,

Lights, Bimini Top, Humminbird 585 cxi Sounder, the lot for $13200

A liked your idea of a little bigger, so I have more depth.

Looking forward to picking it up in a moth or so, and will show you the pics.

Thanks again for all your help.

Pantherman

I have to agree with all ... the Sea Jay's are a nice boat but i have a 4.35 Stessl Edgetracker hull that i have just about finished a refit on which includes front and rear casting decks,underfloor live well and side console and i love it. It's stable but also handles a bit of bay chop.

Absolutely. Upgrade. The boat sounds great. I had a stessco catcher with wider gunwhales and a 30hp yammie 3 cyl ran it close to 45kmh. Was a great boat. Congratulations and well done mate. Hope it all goes good.

Yes Jimmyjac, I was a bit worried I would be underpowered, but have spoken to a few guys here and they say it should be fine. The 4 stroke should be great, as i will be doing a lot of trolling.

I want to get the sounder right just to finish it off. It isn't going to cost me much to upgrade to the Hummingbird 788CXI, and it will have the bigger screen when wanting to use in split mode.

Looking forward to picking up the boat in the next few weeks.

Archived