3 Days At Maroochydore

fishguru5

hi all

spent 3 days up at maroochy river late last week and havnt had time to report. spent the 3 days at trafalgar towers. an awesome spot with a pontoon and a mooring if needed. after setting up i put the boat in and put the pots out. went back to the pontoon after losing a bomber on the troll and started to drop down some leftover cooked prawns from christmas under the pontoon. to my surprise i got smacked every drop and continuously pulled in small to legal bream. after a bit of this i managed to hook something that took me a fair bit further than the other bream and to my surprise i caught a legal cod :lol: anyway mum wanted some fish for dinner so put the cod in the esky and after a few hours of this into night i had snagged 6 cod 3 legal (all tagged and released except for 2) a heap of bream (legal ones tagged) and a small grunter bream (37cm)

post-3952-144598566681_thumb.jpg

day 2

checked the pots for only gennies and unders and was straight back to the pontoon to try for some more bream or cod. caught heaps more just legal bream and one smalllll cod and got absolutely dusted by something that took me under the furthest pontoon and kept going. took about 50 meters before it busted me on someones crab pot on the other side of the channel :pinch: so after that i went for a troll in "the cod hole" for bugger all and another lost bomber :angry: so that was the end of day two.

day 3

had another check of the pots for one legal muddie :woohoo: and back to the pontoon again this time with a shark rig out just incase:P well nothing in the shark department but did get a solid run shortly after it was thrown out killing the mullet with some solid teeth marks. anyway decided i would drop a bait down were i got dusted previously. nibble nibble... WACK! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz it was peeling drag and i was on my knees with the rod buried in the water for most of the fight having a mooring line across two sections :( but after a fair fight and good runs i saw my pb bream slapping around on the surface :cheer: after comfort lifting it onto the pontoon and measured it went 38cm :woohoo:

post-3952-144598566686_thumb.jpg

post-3952-144598566695_thumb.jpg

post-3952-144598566703_thumb.jpg

didnt feel like doing much fishing after that as i was on a good streak :P so i put out a shark rig and had a break. it was late so i packed up and found that my bait had taken me under some debrie :pinch: so i thought may aswell test out this new 20lb fins and locked the drag and tried to pull it in. it would come off the bottom with diffuculty then get taken in the current and pull me with it so i free spooled it and walked over to a neighbouring pontoon and tried to use the current to my advantage which worked :P i managed to get it close enough that i only had to pull it against the 4 knots of current for the last 3 meters or so. was a great workout for the 5-8kg starlo and the exceler. and i am very impressed with the knot strength of the 20lb fins.

packed up and went home the next day only to get hammered by a storm on the way back but it gave the boat a good soaking so less cleaning for me when i got home :cheer:

i am fairly impressed with maroochydores fishing as that was my first trip there and am hoping to do another one soon.

post-3952-144598566714_thumb.jpg

thanks for reading

pat

post-3952-144598566711_thumb.jpg

Archived