Australia Day 2011 @ Straddy - updated pics

Angus

For those of you that only like pictures leave now (and come back later :P).

All photo's were taken on Do$tylz's camera and will be posted later in the week along with the rest of his sure to epic report.

Henry had rented my parents place at Stradbroke for the week to celebrate his brothers (Danny) 30th in style. I was lucky enough to recieve the call up to head over on my day off for Australia Day and help the brothers celebrate with a solid fishing session. So on the 6.25pm Flyer Tuesday night we (Tanya and I) went with dreams of some serious fishing.

Special note: This was also an awesome opportunity to test the half dozen new Norstream Rods I had sent from Russia. These rods all proved fantastic as the report will show.

After an awesome $10 roast at the bowls club we were off for our night session. The plan was pretty simple: Give One Mile and Dunwich a good crack until we were a: Exhausted, b: Bored or c: It was time to head home! The team for the evening consisted of me, Do$tylz, Danny and Danny's mate Emmanuel.

First Stop One Mile: After collecting some livies (enough for days in one cast) we commenced fishing different styles. I was the first off the rank with a Flathead on a 3 Inch Armour Shad and my Stella/Norstream Areal combo. Danny was next off the mark on a livie with something we thought was special. Sadly a Ray was to follow followed by another he managed to Jag on a soft plastic! Third time lucky though Danny's next fish was a great looking little Jack measuring all of 27cm but still giving some curry for its size. I think a few other little bream were caught and Danny managed a squid in the cast net. After setting a strict time of 11pm to move on we packed up and went to Dunwich.

Second Stop Dunwich: As usual the regular Jetty Rats were out in force so we headed down to the rocks to see what we could see. A few pike and a little flathead later and I was onto something solid cast up on one of the pilons with an Armour Shad. After a great fight, screaming runs and some hairy moments I had a nice Estuary cod at my feed. However as the cod often do in this tough to fish location as I was reaching for it he dissapeared into a hole in the rocks. I free spooled for several minutes with no luck and called it for a loss.

By this stage it was about 1:30am and the Jetty was pretty vacant. We had (and have been previously) taunted all night by the massive bust ups and surface action way out of conventional cast range. In the day time Trevally roam all over this ground, but at night they really concentrate on the light pools thrown by the car ferries about 40-50 meters from any ground thats fishable. After numerous casts with poppers Do$tylz finally cracks it and says something along the lines of "oh fudge it I am trying a chromie". Good call Do$tylz! Second cast with the chromie and before he even starts cranking it BANG! After a great fight in comes a solid Tailor followed by another the very next cast! It was about this point the rest of us also went "fudge it indeed", and all tied some chromies on and started hoiking them out. Over the next 2 hours over 20 Big Eye and Giant Trevally were hooked with only about half being landed due to pilons and the difficulty presented in the fact we were fishing several meters above the water and fishing light. Fish ranged between high 30cm's and over 50cm and all pulled some serious drag on out collection of 1000 and 2500 sized reels! I was gutted to drop my largest for the night at the edge of the pontoon. It would have been eaily over 50cm and a GT to boot. I could just physically not lift it with the gear I was using! Next time we are taking a long handled net :P At about 3:30am we called it quits as we were planning to head out again in the morning.

Third Stop Deadmans and Frenchies: After a nice 3.5 hours sleep and a hearty cooked breakfast we were at it again. This time we headed to one of my favourite spots on all of Stradbroke, the rocks between Deadmans and Frenchmans beaches. This proved to be a good call mere seconds into the trip with Danny hooking up to a 30cm+ Dart first cast on plastic. I cant go into to much detail about this session as its blurry but highlights were:

* Catching 30+ Dart with the biggest well over 40cm.

* Watching sharks chase the dart in the surf and smashing into them.

* Hearing drag go off every 30 second or so :P

* Emmanuel catching the biggest for the morning at over 45cm on a 4 inch plastic!

Just awesome.

Anyway to the Do's thanks for having me over guys it was awesome.

Emmanuel good to meet you mate and look forward to cathing up again.

To everyone else... Happy Australia Day!

Angus

post-63-144598571171_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598571178_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598571188_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598571193_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598571199_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598571205_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598571211_thumb.jpg

Nat: Water around the front is nice and blue. Water at Dunwich is not crystal clear nut its not bad.

Bundybear: Awesome to hear mate that as a pretty good turn around! Would love to see the Jaeger actually as I have seen the Gunslinger from the Areal range in the flesh.

Tugger: Agreed. Anyone that under estimates the fighting power of a 40cm+ dart in the surf on 4lb line has not caught one! They get side on in the waves and use there very high and long profile to really create resistance.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Angus

Angus: very happy with the turn around and with the look of the jaeger, let me know when your goin for a session and i'll bring her down so you can get a look...

Good to hear mate.

Things are looking very good on the Norstream front I am informed so expect to see more in the country soon!

Angus

I have to say.... What a trip !! (even if it was less than 24 hours)

I had an absolute ball with Henry, Danny & Angus, mate your local knowledge is awesome.

Well its's safe to say that after the last couple weeks of fishing I have definitely been bitten by the "Fishing BUG" !!!

Looking forward to many more fishing adventures !!!

I had an absolute ball with Henry, Danny & Angus, mate your local knowledge is awesome.

Well its's safe to say that after the last couple weeks of fishing I have definitely been bitten by the "Fishing BUG" !!!

Good to meet ya mate.

Looking forward to that Jack report :)

Mate, if that Jack was your intro to lure fishing, it's no wonder your "hooked"!

Great stuff and looking forward to more reports n' pix.

Hey Doobsy

Yeah caught some small Bream and Flatties before on plastics but the Jack was by far my best catch. I must admit though the couple Dart & Trev's I caught at Straddie on Australia Day with the guys put up an awesome fight. I got a bit too excited hahaha

I will write something up this weekend about the Jack

Cheers

hahah.. just couldn't resist putting up the report before I got home could ya mate?? :P

I've got my piccies loading up now and I'll add to the report from Angus. Give me an hour or so and I'll add to this.

FYI - we only did 1 more days fishing. The other days were either blow outs, drink outs or cricket on the beach outs :D

ok... so the trip started with this...

166330_10150389481325018_594540017_16711273_2941884_n.jpg

then i got sunburnt trying to catch a fish on the way to the house. First night was me on my own kicking some tunes, playing guitar and sinking more booze. The fishing didn't start until Angus, Tania, my brother and his g/f and my work mate Manni came along.

First fish on by angus

179199_10150389489690018_594540017_16711466_2289131_n.jpg

next fish was the jack by my brother. A squid, 2 rays and some other randoms, plus a big amount of herring and mullet later we headed off to Dunwich.. to get onto these..

168486_10150389489900018_594540017_16711474_948250_n.jpg

180246_10150389490060018_594540017_16711478_7526996_n.jpg

and these..

180429_10150389490865018_594540017_16711499_5347000_n.jpg

166835_10150389490535018_594540017_16711489_780140_n.jpg

179442_10150389490710018_594540017_16711494_4274965_n.jpg

165376_10150389490980018_594540017_16711503_783227_n.jpg

Archived