Scotty rod holder install

Yoodles82

So i bit the bullet and ordered over $300 in assorted scotty gear for my two kayaks and am anxiously awaiting the knock on the door by the mailman!

And so i thought i would ask for any tips before i start the install. I usually research a job 10 times over before making the first move, so i thought i'd ask those that have done their own mods for any advice.:huh:

I've browsed through KFDU forum and got some great information too.:)

So, any advice before i drill holes in my yaks! :unsure:

Cheers

Nat

measure twice,cut/drill once.

Before you fit/bolt/screw anything down,go for a paddle with a white out pen and mark where you want to fit stuff,or sit in the yak in the yard and go through paddling and twisting motions to give yourself an idea where not to put things.It`s a bummer when you just eye things in and go out and find that you have fitted things too close or to far away for comfort.

Have fun with your new toys.

cheers

A bit of advise I got from tomca was to cut up a piece of cutting board and place it inside the hull underneath to strengthen the mount position.

I did that too and put allclear underneath the base of the mount to keep it water tight. What I didn't do was check which direction the mounts were supposed to go so one is facing the wrong way. :pinch: If you got the flush mounts and you need to drill a big hole, it's better to drill a hole that's slightly smaller and file it to size than drill one that's too big. Use stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts.

might be beneficial to suck up to someone with yak fishing experience and get them to give you a hand with the install. Everyone is different and you need to put stuff where you want/need it. For example my rod holders are so far forward on both my yaks most people can't reach them, but thats where it suits me

Notice how I waited until the sound advice had been given. I won't destroy any of the good work by giving any advice myself, I just wanted to welcome you to the Tupperware Navy. You'll be welcome any time we head out for a fish, just watch out for that Tacklebox bloke - he'll always try to out-fish you.

Oops Tacklebox has just given me a verbal clip over the ear, apparently she's not a bloke. But the out-fishing thing still stands!

Hahaha, yeah i've seen T-box's efforts putting everyone to shame! :-)

Cheers guys, i think i might have to join you one of these days....once i get setup.:lol:

nat

Archived