Trip to Victoria

ryanyoung

G'day all,

I have a trip to Vic from 07Feb11 to 24Feb11, and am planning to hit the fishing scene where and whenever possible. I will be centered around Puckapunyal/Seymour, however don't mind traveling for a bit. If anyone has info on where to fish whilst down there, it would be much appreciated. FYI, I will be taking light gear down, IVO 2-4kg, although, might also take an 8-17lb setup also.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan.

Hi Ryan

You will be in close range of some of the southern states best fishing lakes.

About 2 hours drive you have Lake Mulwala which no doubt is the countries premier murray cod fishery.

There is tons of places to fish from the banks and plenty of boat hire places if you want to venture out onto the lake which you would be silly not to do one weekend while you are down that way.

If you are a member on tacklebox.com.au I am sure there are some guys there that would probably take you fishing for a day or 2.

Below the spillway would have to be some of the best shore based cod and yellow belly fishing you could ever imagine and plenty of huge carp if you want to have fun catching them.

A 15 min drive from Mulwala is the Ovens River and that holds some massive cod which can be caught from the banks but is very snaggy country.

You also have Lake Eppalock and Lake Eildon which would be about an hours drive from your base.

These have great fishing as well for trout,cod,yellowbelly and tons of redfin and carp.

Some sections of the Yarra River in that area holds good numbers of Brown and Rainbow trout and the middle to lower reaches also holds some cod and Macquarie Perch.

All the tributaries of the Yarra hold good fish at times.

You must do Mulwala as you are going to be there in the prime time to catch the large cod there.

Definately get onto the tacklebox forum as most of their members seem to be from down that way.

I grew up fishing lake Mulwala and the entire Ovens and Murray system and the fishing there is fantastic once you know how to fish it properly.

Large deep diving lures that have a slow body roll like Orgee lures and Stumpjumpers are the go there as well as many others.Spinnerbaits are fantastic as well as surface lures at night.

Bait fishing is great too especially with shrimps and bardies.

The links below will give you a little bit of info on the lakes I mentioned.

I hope you like the heat cos it often gets to 40 degrees plus that time of the year but its a nice dry heat and not humid like up this way.

Also pack plenty of aeoguard if going along the Murray/Ovens waterways.

/>http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Eppalock.htm
/>http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Eildon.htm
/>http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Mulwala.htm

Well, a quick trip into BCF tonight resulted in a few lures being bought for the upcoming trip. A Halco Poltergeist 80 5+ diver in purple and silver. A Predatek Boomerang 80 8+ in mulga frog, and a R2S jointed 60mm crank in purple. The trip is approved and the kayak is ready!!! Hopefully I will have a decent report to post on my return.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Archived