Snapper suprise at spot x

PlasticFantastic

After being in Hobart for the last week and having fun catching Bream and Salmon I was keen to get into an offshore session on the home front when I got back. So with todays weather looking pretty good OnTheChew made the call to hit up the Tweed area and try for some GT's at the Nine Mile reef. We were greeted by calm conditions at first and made our way out to the reef. At first there were plenty of Tuna about mainly Yellowfin and a couple came aboard falling for Overthere stickbaits and a Longtail on a Sebile stickbait , these fish were of about 3kg so nothing huge but good fun. As more boats turned up to troll the fish were harder to catch but i ended up with a small Cobia also falling for the Sebile. Meanwhile andrew was popping in hope of a GT but it wasn't to be today. So we decided to troll our way out to the Fad and back all that way for one Dollie that wasn't much bigger than the lure it tried to eat. On the way back in as we were trolling we noticed alot of bait on the sounder in an unmarked area, so we pulled in the trolling rods and flicked a couple of plastics over the edge to see what was down there. About 20m into the drift and im on and can feel some solid headshakes after a short tussle up came 83cm and 8kg of prime Tweed Snapper. To say i was happy was an understatement. In the end i ended up with Two Yellowfin one small Longtail, two Cobia biggest was only about 6kg a small Dollie and the Snapper. So a top day out.

Cheers

Mark

post-5191-144598571321_thumb.jpg

Mark,

Good to see you starting to actually land some of the fish you hook :) Definately will give that new spot a go with some lighter gear, might pick up a few more decent snaps. The only problem with popping for GT's when you are throwing a 200g 30cm popper around there isn't going to be much bi-catch, it's all or nothing. Still not a bad day out considering it was the first time for the boat and we had no marks. I am going to have to actually start keeping some of our fish, I am starting to get in trouble ;)

Andrew

Just one other photo of the smaller Cobia I caught, which fell for the Sebile stickbait whilst casting at a school of feeding Tuna. Also a good tip for anyone buying tackle even though you pay a higher price for a lure doesn't mean that the terminal tackle on it is up to scratch, as this Cobia of about 4kg was able to pull apart the front split ring leaving the hook in the fish so as a good guide always upgrade the terminal tackle just to be safe.

Cheers

Mark

post-5191-144598571369_thumb.jpg

Cobia

post-5191-144598571717_thumb.jpg

Sebile Stickbait

Mark,

That lure is all good just put some singles on there and it will be heaps easier to take fish off and be heaps stronger. Suprised it did that much damage to the split ring considering you wouldn't have been using huge drag. This weekend looks alright, might be able to get offshore again, unless you and Gordy want to go yaking for bass. Bass or GT ;)

Andrew

Archived