South Pine River

Gday,

I live super close to the South Pine and was wondering how it fishes. I have flicked a few lures around the Bunya area and Cash's Crossing but never had much luck and it was before the floods so that can't be the reason. I swear there must be fish (bass) in there somewhere. Anyone had any luck?

Well believe it or not guys but I just had a flick up near bunya and after a long stroll down the river I got a bass. First cast near the snag I got a strike and second cast it smashed the lure. I was on the way home from work so I only had my little shimano tacklebox which has a ruler on it and it read about 10 and a bit inches so 26cm or so. Absolutely stoked, didn't think I would catch anything. The water was super clean and a lot of little fish swimming around.

Didn't have a camera of course but kept a scale for proof when I tell my old man!!

And Ray, we went Tilapia culling at Pine Rivers pond behind St Pauls yesterday but didn't try the river. Might get down there Sunday afternoon for some lure flicking.

i live in samford..last year, i walked the south pine from samford to the back of eatons xing..took me 6 hours..got 2 bass all day..healthy ones but small...very shallow most of the way but dotted with deep bends and holes...was as always a good day, but prob not gunna do it again..can think of better places to do a mission like that..but good to have in ya back yard :)

Well done on your first "local" bass.

Many years (25+) years ago, I did a lot of whitewater canoeing and after rain local creeks & rivers provided plenty of fun. The South Pine from above Samford to Albany creek was one of our favorite places with mostly farms and very little development. Bass fishing was also pretty good in then.:)

A few years ago I revisited part of the SPR and found it had sufferred badly from erosion with many holes filled in and the river generally much wider and shallower. Long stretches were simply dry sandy riverbeds.:S

I wonder if the recent flooding cleaned out any holes and if bass made the move upstream.

Luc

Archived