Wet NPD redclaw session 06/02/11

crazywalrus

Headed out today on my own after my decky let me down late last night and to late to organize another. Hit the water around 8.30 and the day was going well with the first pulls of the pots scoring a good haul of claw. The size is down at present from a month ago but the quantity is inpressive. A few of the pots had well over 30 red claw in one pot.

I managed to catch 3 good sized Tandanus today as well so no Donut from a fishing perspective. Anyway I was in my own world tailing and deviening the Redclaw and waiting for the next run on the rods when I looked up to see a heavy shower/storm rolling over the hill towards me. All the pots where out, no rain coat, so I desperately started to collect the pots. Well I got soaked but on the bright side the pots where loaded with red claw. Came home with a wet tail but after only to pulls of the pots I ended up with a lot of red claw. A couple of beers while tailing and veining them and I am happy. thanks Ted

post-7418-144598572823_thumb.jpg

post-7418-144598572833_thumb.jpg

Hey how many pots u using and how long between checking them?

Nice haul...:)

I normally run 12 pots, 4 each for myself and the kids. I use the same method that Rayke taught be using small kids milk bottles with holes in them to hold home brand dog biscuits. I generally check them around each hour or hour and a half. You do need to move them around a bit if you are not getting a decent quantity in the pots. I tend to put them back on the same trees that have down well for me before. The last pull was amazing several of the pots had well over 30 in them.

Good stuff Ted, wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your rig if you've got one. I take it you have two boats? I've got myself a little 3m tinny but don't have space for a 2nd trailer unfortunately.

yeah I do have two boats. Picked up the NPD dam boat up off ebay for $400 with trailer - I think it is 3.6m. I have put decks in it for storage and ease of movement. Not sure if I have a pic will see if I can dig one up. The boats have pride of place in the garage and the car sites out on the driveway :P

what do you do with all the heads and that?

Bin day tomorrow. Although the 20 odd tillies in the bin from friday are really smelling :sick:

Heres a hint for your fishy rubbish, I freeze the frames, shells whatever and just before the bin pickup comes around I throw them in, that way it doesn't smell as much. Just depends how long they are defrosting in the bin :unsure:

what do you do with all the heads and that?

Bin day tomorrow. Although the 20 odd tillies in the bin from friday are really smelling :sick:

Heres a hint for your fishy rubbish, I freeze the frames, shells whatever and just before the bin pickup comes around I throw them in, that way it doesn't smell as much. Just depends how long they are defrosting in the bin :unsure:

Yeah I normally do that but I did not have enough room in my freezer this week and did not think they would smell to bad in two days. How silly was I

Excellent job mate. Its worth getting soaked if your tummy is full later :) Hopefully the weather gods will be on our side tomorrow.

Yeah I have made that mistake with putting fish in 2 days before... Even the neighbours mentioned the essence lofting past their front door hahaha.

On that note, say if you do catch those tillies and have no room in your freezer to freeze the remains (as Ted did) What is one to do with them? - Put up with the stench (neighbours complaining) and clean bin after its emptied? Go behind the shopping centre and put em in their bin (prolly illegal)?

I think I read something about digging a hole above the water line and burying em - wouldda thought it would be illegal to do that on SEQ Waters land - no idea.

Cheers

Woodlaz

Not allowed to bury them on SEQ property.If I have no room in the freezzer i take them down to local park or boat ramp in the evening and put them in wheely bins there as they are emptied firswt thing every morning.

Also gives me a buzz when dumping redclaw heads in bin and a kid asks me where did I catch them and I up there and point in the general direction of Mount Cotton.

Cheers

Ray

• 3 weeks later...
Hey how many pots u using and how long between checking them?

Nice haul...:)

I normally run 12 pots, 4 each for myself and the kids. I use the same method that Rayke taught be using small kids milk bottles with holes in them to hold home brand dog biscuits. I generally check them around each hour or hour and a half. You do need to move them around a bit if you are not getting a decent quantity in the pots. I tend to put them back on the same trees that have down well for me before. The last pull was amazing several of the pots had well over 30 in them.

It has been brought to my attention that some folks where concerned about the amount of Pots I was running on this day. As I said in the reply I normally run twelve. One for each of us. I did not say I was running 12 on the day in question. We need to lighten up and stop trying to catch folks out when they are attempting to do the right thing.

Edit: this was not aimed at you Dazzamcgee

Archived