Bull Shark Season

Hi All,

I have been thinking about getting into bull shark fishing in the brissie river over the last couple of weeks. So i've been doing a bit of research etc and I have read that they are most active during october to april.

Does anybody think that it would be worth me starting out at this time of year or would it just be a waste of my time (and no doubt patience) and i would be best to wait until about september/october before getting into it?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Adam

mate im not the best but if you try the sharking forum and flick through some old ones you find some intersting stuff and great photos too. from what i have read the guys saying best starts around november/december but odd couple jagged in the colder times as well. good luck !.

oh and welcome to the site!

Post edited by: kriso, at: 2007/05/21 21:44

Gday mate and welcome to the site.

It is true they are far more active in the summer months. I fact i would say october to april is pretty broad, id say more like november to april.

However mate my advice would be to get right into it.

This is for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, there are always a few sharks in the river. I have caught some half decent ones in the middle of winter.

Secondly it takes a while to get your systems and techniques down pat. You dont want to start sharking at the begginning of summer only to catch your first at the end of the season!

Jump in and start trying ut different locations and set ups. Everything you learn now will help later. Plus you never know, you might get lucky.

Angus

Kmart have a 20% of fishing sale on at the moment, get yourself some 10/0 mustad livebait hooks, come in packs of 3 for $2 to $3, and the biggest \"make yourself\" nylon trace they have (50 kg would be great, but probably only 25 or 40kg) and some big swivels and make your shark traces about 5 or 6 foot long. (1.5m)

I know some places in the Straits where all kinds of men in grey lurk, had some awesome sessions chasing Sharks. Tigers, Bullies & Hammerheads are the most common clients on these days, heart pounding stuff fighting a large shark on 50Lb tackle.

Cheers

James

Archived