Time for a Nudge

fatmuf

YUS!!

Sometime in the next 24 hours, and for the first time in a looooong while i'm getting out for a fish!

Destination: The quiet banks of Nudgee Creek. Mmm yes, indeed... rather. Indubitably.

How's the area looking?? Still pretty rough or is it starting to clear up a bit? Just want to know whether i can look forward to a quiet dirty fish or something a bit more eventful :silly:

Dont use steel trace. Go get yourself some 150 pound leader. Sharks dont like steel trace too much. There are a lot of sharks around at the moment, the big fresh coincided with them looking for pupping spots so they are pretty excited at the moment. Ive just posted elsewhere that we have been fishing every second night for them and getting 3 or 4 every session except for a couple of quiet ones. got a big guy last night at under three meters and a few smaller ones

That's wicked man, I haven't got a cast net so what do u reckon for bait? I was just gonna get some prawns and try catch something I can chuck back out on a heavier line as shark bait. Prawns always seem to be a hit, anything else you'd suggest, maybe something I can throw out straight away for the sharks?

Alrighty, done and dusted. Went and fished the outgoing on Friday night's full moon using fresh prawns from the seafood joint to catch something a bit bigger for sharking. The bites were lively but I only ended up pulling in a pike eel. Good for bait, so I cut off a chunk a bit bigger than my fist and set it up on a ganghook attached to my newly acquired 150lb Jenkai Plus leader.

I got a couple buzzes off that before hooking up, but as I was bringing her back in (and as I suspected might happen), the line was just bitten through. So much for that idea :S

Not wanting to give up I set my line up the same way and casted out another decent chunk of eel, only to have the same thing happen again!

Looks like setting up a steel trace is the way to go, but what's a good way to set it up so the steel is hidden/masked?

I've had someone suggest splicing it, but I don't know what they mean by that...

So anyway, if anyone has a bit of know-how on what I can do to improve my next trip, give me the goods! :)

Dont use steel trace. Go get yourself some 150 pound leader. Sharks dont like steel trace too much. There are a lot of sharks around at the moment, the big fresh coincided with them looking for pupping spots so they are pretty excited at the moment. Ive just posted elsewhere that we have been fishing every second night for them and getting 3 or 4 every session except for a couple of quiet ones. got a big guy last night at under three meters and a few smaller ones

this always intriques me,these new age sensitive sharks that are over sensitive to wire traces,in the 70/80`s surf clubs up north,if there were frequent sightings of sharks through the week, would set shark drum lines out for sharks,about 400-500 yards off the beach.

Half the time these drums would be made from 44gal drums(tarred),from a welded ring,on one end of the drum to the anchor was chain and on the other end of the drum chain to the hook with a pigs head as bait.

over the years whalers,grey nurse,tigers,hammerheads were taken on these set drums.

Could it be stainless steel used today,back then everything used was galvanised

150 pound line is simply so that the sharks skin and movement doesnt rub through the line. I use big circle hooks so that 99 times out of 100 you hook them in the corner of the mouth. Not only that, with your drag set loose its just a matter of tightening it a bit and the hooks pretty much set themselves. Sounded like you were dicounting the advice I gave because the one time you fished for sharks it didnt work. Could be user error. :-) If any size shark is allowed to sit chewing a bait and your line for a few sec onds, good chance it will chew through. As for the no wire thing, I know guys in hervey bay who use wire all the time and catch bigg tigers and whalers, but from expierience around the area here it seems they dont like it much. it could be a coincidence but Ive but 4 rods out time and time again and the wire doesnt get touched. The other tip is make sure your leader is up to a couple of meters long as the leangth of it will be rubbing as it runs.

That's awesome, thanks heaps for your input fellas. Rest assured I know I have a few personal errors I have to tweak and fix up, and I'm more than happy to receive constructive criticism so I know know where I'm going wrong. Where better to hear it than stright from those with more experience?

Don't think that Jenkai line is gonna go to waste either BassTracker! With your advice I can see where I need to fix things up a bit - like leader length for example. I hadn't even thought of the fact the whole length of the shark could be rubbing against my line, I've only been using roughly 60-80cm leader. So I'll give that a bit more length and get stuck into the circle hooks and see how I go.

At the risk of sounding completely stupid, what size circle hook do you guys recommend for each smaller/mid/larger bull sharks? Help me cut out the middle process of purchasing random hooks and hoping something works! :D

ok for small sharks up to 1.2m, between a 5/0-7/0 owner, black magic or gamakatsu circle,medium size sharks from 1.2-2.0 i suggest 8/0-12/0 and big sharks 14/0 and upwards....

just remember you can catch big sharks on smaller hooks if you play them out correctly. my missis got a 9ft hammer on a 10 circle

post-8878-144598577143_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598577153_thumb.jpg

um do you think i would be so STUPID to keep a shark oversize and anyway what would i bloody do with it, i cant sell it, to big to eat, and if i killed it just for the sake of it i wouldnt be a TRUE fisherman and if i was going to keep it do you think i would be STUPID enough to post it so the whole of brisy can see, i dont think so. i am a sport fisherman and catch and release all sharks over the legal lenght

Archived