Dslr help please

Scope

Ok guys need some advice from all the photographic experts out there. I've tried searching afo but the search function seems to have it in for me.

Here goes - Looking to buy an entry level dslr, preferably second hand and cheap. What features should I be looking for? What numbers make a camera better ect? (megapixel count/zoom/image resolutions/flash speeds/ect ect) And what is a good size for a general purpose lens?? Most of my shots will be fishing related with a few landscape shots thrown in.

Have seen alot of Canon Eos models and Nikon D70's on ebay as well as a few sony's.

Also - How hard are they to get the hang of?? I just want to take some higher quality photos.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Jono

Ok guys need some advice from all the photographic experts out there. I've tried searching afo but the search function seems to have it in for me.

Here goes - Looking to buy an entry level dslr, preferably second hand and cheap. What features should I be looking for? What numbers make a camera better ect? (megapixel count/zoom/image resolutions/flash speeds/ect ect) And what is a good size for a general purpose lens?? Most of my shots will be fishing related with a few landscape shots thrown in.

Have seen alot of Canon Eos models and Nikon D70's on ebay as well as a few sony's.

Also - How hard are they to get the hang of?? I just want to take some higher quality photos.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Jono

Do you mind getting one second hand Jono?

I'm sure you'd be able to pickup a decent cam second hand online with the body, a couple lenses and other bits and bobs thrown in?

I'm no expert but i'll try to answer some of your questions

What makes a camera good.. wow can of worms. Firstly you need a decent camera 'body'.. i think what makes or breaks photos are a mix between the lense you are using, and the composition of the photo.

At the moment i'm trying to look around for a macro lense for close-up lure hookup shots after i catch a fish. Something like a 18-55 kit lense would be ok for this too; It'd take decent pics of the fish and more importantly of you holding the fish.

The megapixel on the camera doesn't play THAT much of a deal unless you want to get the pics blown up and mounted on a canvas or something afterwards.

wow i dont think any of what i wrote made sense.. i'll have a look back and edit lol.

hope i helped man

My 2c and probably then some.

First thing to do is set a budget and figure out what exactly you think you want to take photos of (this could change later on).

If you are just after a camera for decent fish pics, then a better option may be a high end point and shoot like the Canon G series (not sure what they are up to). They allow the use of manual settings so you can be creative with your photography without the complexities of lens systems. There is also a range of reasonbly priced waterproof casings available for these as well.

If you think you will be doing more with the camera, eg landscape, portraiture etc, then a DSLR would be the better option. However there is a very steep learning curve with DSLRs to get the most out of them. As far as brands go, you can throw a hanky over them all at the moment (perhaps excluding olympus). Easiest way to decide is to go into a shop and hold different models from each brand to find which suits you the most. The larger bodies will most likely feel a lot better then the smaller entry level cameras, so if you think you will be upgrading down the track pay close attention to how these feel.

There is a saying amongst photographers "Bodies come and go but good glass is forever" They all have options for quality glass and aftermarket brands like Sigma and Tamron also make lenses for most brands. So no matter what brand you decide on there will be lenses to suit.

To start with all that you will need is the 18-55mm kit lens and perhaps are 50mm f/1.8 lens (about $150 for most brands) and that will cover most fishy pics. If the budget allows though pick up a second hand prosumer body (Canon XXD or 7D or equivalent in another brand) and perhaps a 24-70mm f/2.8 Sigma or Tamron and it will be a long time before you need to upgrade, or if you decide it isn't for you, then you won't lose much money selling them.

Hope that helps. Be warned though, if you become an addict it can be a very expensive hobby. I now have a backpack of gear that cost more then my old tinny.....

Cheers

Terry

Archived