Yakking the Coomera 19/02

Zeezu

Promises of Trevali and Jack action by recent posts saw us tackling the Coomera this Saturday. Riopio, Ahmedy and myself set out to meet the others for an early 6am start.

post-65-144598577041_thumb.jpg

Ahmedy and Rio eager and ready for some fishing!!

Arrived at the boat ramp just as Tacklebox, Kreel and Rocket (?pls correct me if mistaken) were pulling in. Early signs were looking promising as there was plenty of baitfish around and making runs. The others had a bit of a headstart on us, but we just took our time and worked our way up river.

post-65-144598577052_thumb.jpg

Ahmedy just living the dream

It was real tough going with our lures starting to feel quite unloved. And then we ran into some trouble. Riopio hooking himself in the thumb and then proceeding to set the hook well and truely :ohmy: . I have more embarassing pics of the incident, but rio managed to put on a brave face for just one photo before landing his kayak and heading off to the doctors.

post-65-144598577061_thumb.jpg

Ahmedy and myself continued to work the area around rios kayak and I finally managed to hook up. A nice breambo around the 30cm mark on a 2" softplastic:)

post-65-144598577067_thumb.jpg

post-65-144598577075_thumb.jpg

Shortly after we ran into the rest of the gang. They hadnt had much luck on their travels and were calling it. Met Plasticfantastic who had launched much earlier (nice meeting you).

post-65-144598577083_thumb.jpg

It was at this point that the injured team mate made his return to the field. Bandaged up and ready for action.

post-65-144598577091_thumb.jpg

Now I'm not sure what they put in those tetanus shots, but Rio locked onto this monster whilst on the troll.

post-65-144598577099_thumb.jpg

post-65-144598577107_thumb.jpg

A quick debate on the species, legal size, and table quality saw Rio releasing this beauty. Can anyone help answer these questions? Perch? Im fairly certain they are top of the endangered species with an international ban on them and are by far the worst fish you could ever eat :whistle: isnt that so Rio?

Continued working the area. Ahmedy with a potential doughnut looming decided to try a new tactic.

post-65-144598577115_thumb.jpg

Working the trees with a Damiki Vault. Sorry Ahmedy, its Fishing not Birding.

With the area still quiet, we decided to call it a day around 3pm and headed back to the ramp. It had been a real hard days fishing, but in beautiful conditions. I managed another bream on the way back, similar to the first, but already had my dinner so released him for another day.

post-65-144598577123_thumb.jpg

Dinner!

Let us know how the rest of the gang went.

It was tough going all morning. Lots of trevs around but they were really flighty and not interested in any of my lures. Caught this little guy trolling on the way back from the lake.

post-2560-1445985763_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the report Zeezu. Dinner looks great but you could've kept the second bream to feed your wife. :silly:

Dinner looks great but you could've kept the second bream to feed your wife. :silly:

haha, the one bream fed the two of us (i had a late lunch after the trip). Sal loved the fish and said i should bring more home. I'm pretty sure that meant i should go fishing more often :cheer: Should have kept the second bream as I owed my father-in-law for all the kayak installation work his been helping us out with.

give us a call next time tbox we were struggling to get livies and it looks just right for a 8/0 to go in it

It was tough going all morning. Lots of trevs around but they were really flighty and not interested in any of my lures. Caught this little guy trolling on the way back from the lake.

[attachment=30111]trev.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for the report Zeezu. Dinner looks great but you could've kept the second bream to feed your wife. :silly:

may I suggest you do a google search on fish hook injuries,how to remove fish hooks,helpful for non serious(read this as not causing further complications EG:not for around eyes,throat,delicate areas).

Often hooks and trebles can be removed on site without interferring with fishing time,then have the wound checked by a doctor on the way home.Carry a small basic 1st aid kit in your tackle bag,the disinfectant comes in handy at times.

If you do a hook/treble removal,if caught on a lure,cut the hook/treble from a lure before you do the pull out.

Once saw a numbskull do an extraction pull with the lure still attached and the mess the 2nd treble made was very impressive,turned a minor injury into to a major incident scene.

Great photos guys.

I remember about 20 years ago my old man went Barra fishing in our local creek in Mackay, I was sick that day, he got a trebble in the thumb on the 2nd cast from a small fiesty barra, but decided the bite was to hot and kept fishing, just removed the trebble from the lure, (favourite lure so attached another). Ended up bring home 2 nice barra and a good story.

We are all getting to soft nowadays with our aircon and power steering. :silly:

Pity Dr Tomca wasn't there to help with hook removal, first aid kit always on hand ( to mop up the bleeding after the pliers :ohmy: )

Love the report boys, and girl.

Denny :pinch: , I'm taking Chris upto the lake for a sunset sesh on sunday if your keen, anyone else for that matter

Archived