sunny coast spanner crabs

rosco1974

post-3985-144598578968_thumb.jpg

post-3985-144598578957_thumb.jpg

took the youngfella up off maloolaba yesterday for our 1st spanner crab attempt...got a mark of a mate to try and boy did it fire...we droped 8 spanner crab dillies . in which took 30-40 minutes to do...we went straight back and pulled the 1st dillie to find it full of crabs.we decided that we where going to get a good feed so we just packed the dillies up as we pulled them..we ended up with our 40 keepers out of the 1 run with 2 dillies not having any crabs in them but did have legs in the pots so think a turtle or cobia took them...had a few casts at some busting schools landed 4 mac tuna kept for bait..and b4 some asks these were not witches hat dillies

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic stuff.

I have always wanted to have a crack at spanner crabbing.

Is there much to it or is it straight forward? Do you just need to be in the right area.

I know some good general areas off Mooloolaba that I see pro crab fisherman working when I am heading home from the barwon banks.

dhess,its the same as sandcrabbing really just in alot deeper water..the dillies u can buy at crab n gear for around $25 each..i have 8 but prob get away with just 4 just check them a few mor times

kelvin we where in the 33-35mtr mark where we got them approx 6k from moololaba

Try to find a good clean sandy bottom,between 30-70 mtrs mostly arround the 40-45 we found the best.And they wont show up on a sounder either.

Sometimes it hit or miss and alot of work when you pull empty traps. We ran 6 strings of 10 dillies (10mtrs apart) generaly in 40 mtrs, run side by side or in a line.On a good day when you hit them up to 1,000 Kgs, All kept live and sold to Japan,back when I was a rapist :evil:

Archived