Shimano Baitrunner 4500 D

Gcarj

Hello,

Am thinking about purchasing this reel as a start a new chapter in my brief fishing hobby thus far. I have heard allot of good things about the baitrunner and feel the urge to buy one. I am currently toying with small snapper in the bay but hope as my experience increases I find some bigger fish and different species.

My question is, is there an equivelent to the 4500D from other brands? Im sure there is I thought this would get me to the answer quicker and hopefully someone can let me know what to avoid.

Also who buys from the USA on-line? They are priced from $160 on some sites and with the exchange rate i hope it is worth a look? Any thoughts?

After the reel I would be saving for a rod to match. Who can suggest a good match under or close to $200?

I am not sure which model but look at their website for the specials.

The 6500 is a big reel but still fine for snapper and better still you can use them for mackeral,tuna,jewies and just about any other fish.

They are a great all round reel and with a spare spool you can have one rigged for lighter line for the bay areas and one with heavier line for offshore fishing.

I have been using them for atleast 25 years.

The 4500 is a good all round size reel. I've used it to live bait for jacks in the creeks and to fish for snapper and macs in the bay and offshore. Mine is a B and came matched as a catalogue special with a 6-10kg shimano bluewater series rod from BCF about the middle of last year for about $160 and I have been very happy with it.

Yes, the exchange rate makes buying overseas tempting, but if you buy in Aust, Shimano offer 10 year warranty on the reel. I haven't tested the warranty yet, but it certainly offers peace of mind.

I also got the 4500B - I looked at the 6500B but there was a substantial difference in size and weight. The 4500 is still a big reel with plenty of line capacity.

Depending on how quickly you need it, you can sit and wait for a local sale - I got mine at a 20% off sale over the New Year. In fact Tackle Warehouse had a 20% off last weekend :(

Marty

To be honest I haven't fished with Braid yet. I would like to give it ago but there appear to be a significant number who don't think its that great with abrasion resistance!

The reason I was looking at the D series is for the exact reasons you outlined......drag and handle. Do you know if the D comes with a spare spool?

Not sure about the spare spool. Okuma has a baitrunner equivalent and there are a few others, but none of them really cut it in quality and performance. e.g. Okumas in my experience end up with rusty screws after a few outings in saltwater even if washed down. Some of the others have pathetically weak drags.

Mate I recently got a Daiwa Regal Plus 5000BRi from the US, paid $82 inc shipping (saved $50). Haven't used it yet but it feels like a great reel and I loaded it up with 20lb PowerPro. It also has 33lb drag system which is also on the smaller versions (4500, 4000 etc) so they should be able to handle some decent size fish.

Cheer

Brad

/>http://stores.ebay.com.au/Jays-Hunting-and-Fishing-Supply?_trksid=p4340.l2563

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 X 4500's i bought over 20 years ago and i swear by them, very reliable great sand and water resistance and heaps of grunt. Mine have been stored and rarely used much in the past 10 years but every time i pull it out it is like the day i put it away. Sad to hear yesterday though that Shimano has chosen to end making them :( not sure how relible the info is but came from a shop owner.

Archived