Sting ray attack and Logan A&E

batman

The missus and I popped down to the Pin on Sunday with the dogs in tow, it was a lovely day and after a few hours we had landed quite a few small flathead on softplastics. We pulled up on a sand flat with about a metre of water running over it, I hopped out the back with the dogs for a swim and after a while I started wading the flats flicking a small gulp around, didn’t take long I hooked up three flatties in six casts so I was having a whale of a time.

All of a sudden something brushed my leg and wham I was nailed by a stingray!! The barb went in and out but the pain as you can imagine was really, really bad! A chap in a tinny saw it happen and he bolted over to help, he loaded me on and gave me a lift back to the boat, the missus loaded up the dogs and drove us back at break neck speed to the boat ramp. Many thanks to a few guys who gave us a hand getting the boat on the trailer and a friend of the missus who lives down the road shot me over to Logan A&E.

The good thing about getting nailed by a stingray is that the doctors take it pretty seriously and next minute I had drips, ECG machine going and enough morphine to drop a rhino, foot in a bucket of hot water and I was much, much better. I tell ya the pain was 8/10 in my book…………….

Lessons learnt:

Carry a decent first aid box – compression bandage is a must!

Do not ice the wound….daaang it made it a hundreds time worse!

Hot water at 46 degrees for 90 minutes

Morphine is a beutifull drug!

Get to a hospital!

Get an x-ray cause the barb or gunk might still be lodged in there.

The funniest thing that happened whilst I was in A&E was a guy got wheeled in after crashing his dads vintage Ducati, it was a slow speed crash but he was in a bit of pain. Anyway he was banging on about this and that when all of a sudden I heard him say…..â€and I shit me pants!†meaning I thought he meant that he was scared….no no he shat his pants!!! I was pissing myself. To top it off another chap came in after getting into a huge fight, the doctors patched him up and then detectives arrived and arrested him as he had heaps of prior warrants for robbery and assault….

Amazing what you see on a lazy Sunday down at Logan A&E………

Bloody stingrays……..

Batty

yeah bloody hurt like a biiiiaaaatch!!!!!!

Pisses me off as I love wading the flats and now I am going to be paranoid as all hell!

Oh Well, you live and learn, tell ya if you want entertainment get yourself down to Logan A&E.........certainly some characters bouncing around there.

Anyone else who has been nailed by a stingray, stone fish, bullrout...nasty critters.

Batty

we often take the kids to play down at shorncliff one day as we were wading in the shallows my wife got a stingray barb into the top of her foot it was a beautifull wound very neat and i guess as painfull as hell ,but sandie being a trooper sat down and had the fish and chips we had just orderd bumed around for a bit and finally went to the doctors to be given a band aid and told not much we can do.

Faulked! Jeezuz start calling you missus Arnie! Ok I admit I am a woose when it comes to pain, my whole leg was canning and my ankle swelled up like a soccer ball.

According to the ninnanet, stingray barb injects a form of protein poison, some people react differently to others but hot water (46 degrees for 90 minutes) dilutes the poison...so that is deffinatley the best way to treat this injury.

I won't be wading the flats again!

a mate came round last night and I told him what happend, he showed me his left hand and low and behold he had a massive scar where the barb of a stingray nailed him. He also grabbed it and brought it on to the boat, whilst handeling it the stingray which wasn't very big got him in the fleshy bit of the hand below the thumb. His account of the pain mirrored mine but dang he has a serious scar on his hand! A year latter and he still cant feel the top of his thumb....

For such a non aggresive "fish" they certainly do some damage.

according to my mate Brian who popped round the ray that got him was say the size of a dinner plate, I have no idea if they differ in the type of poison but the the barb went straight through the fleshy part of his hand below the thumb and went through his hand and came out the other side, so the barb is bloody sharp! I can confirm the scare is herrendous!The poison as mentioned is a protein poison which dilutes when in hot water....

I think I was lucky cause it just punctured the skin went maybe 5-10mm in and he pulled it out, which makes me think he wasn't that pissed off just letting me know, hey bud your on my turf!

None the less I wouldn't advice ***** around with a stingray...nasty by name...nasty results.

Good to know, unfortunate though!

I normally always shuffle my feet when wading around- although Monday night I was close in to the mangroves up at Bribie and stepped on what must have been quite a sizable muddy. Next thing I know what felt like a giant hand just grab my boots and squeeze- scared the bejeebus out of me. I tell you- lucky I was wearing my waders!! (I have been known to walk around barefoot in that murky water... lesson learnt!)

But yeah, with the feet shuffle I don't know if its the vibrations through the ground but I notice alot of flatty and rays get up and go within a few metres of me when I'm doing the shuffle.

I've always been of the mind that Rays are pretty harmless, normally if I pass one in the sand I'll give it a friendly tap with the tip of my rod just to get it on it's way.

Ouchy ouchy oohhhhhhhh....

I have done for years since being on the islands of the Barrier Reef, I will always kick the water around when wading and have a stick or something I smack into the water infront of me when walking along in ankle to knee deep water (and yes before anyone gives me stick, me in knee deep water is close to some other peoples ankle deep water)

Stingrays are not naturally aggressive, but use their tail slap when bitten or trodden on. I often see the scurry away when you turn up the water while walking.

Fairly certain it doesn't matter about size of the ray for the amount of pain, just the size of the barb and physical damage they can inflict.

They all have the protein based toxin on their barb and when they get you, the barb tends to break little shards off and these little bits are what prolongs the pain and creates the nasty arse scars people have. :blink: :sick:

The protein based toxin doesn't get diluted however by the hot water, it gets de-natured and stops working, like cooking meat . So the hotter the water the better (within reason, don't cook yourself) same with "most" marine stings (catfish, bullrout, stonefish, stingrays) as hot as you can stand and then just treat the wound once the pain subsides. :pinch:

At least you caught some fish first and you weren't on your own. That would have been shit.

(catching no fish):silly:

I had a catfish flip off a hook and land dorsal barb first onto my bare foot, puncturing completely through. Pain was excruciating but the fingermark were really biting their heads off at the time, and had to beg and plead with my mates to leave off fishing and medivac me ashore!

Archived