Premature fish of the month entry - Barwon Banks

dhess

After being deprived of offshore fishing for three months due to work, renovation and family commitments I finally found an opening to go fishing yesterday 28/2.

Had a fairly nice ride out from Mooloolaba 40km out. Next to no wind but confused wavelets from all directions.Arrived at our spot at about 5:30am and started trying to jig up livies. Whenever I jigged some up they were getting smacked by bigger fish before I could get them to the surface.

Three destroyed bait jigs later I gave up and decided to try some unweighted pillies on wire. We soon worked out the culprits were rat yellow tail kings and rainbow runners. My neighbour Peter got one of these as his first offshore fish.

post-972-144598580315_thumb.jpg

As much fun as it was we decided we were waisting time fishing bait so the lures were deployed and trolling we went. It only took 15 minutes before one of the ratchets went off. Peter was on strike and not having his sea legs developed he was struggling so he passed the rod to me and soon after we boated a nice wahoo at 126 cm.

post-972-144598580325_thumb.jpg

Redeployed the lures and half an hour or so later we had another solid strike that failed to stay connected. Not to worry, the lures went back out and less than an hour later we were on. Karol was on strike and he landed a nice mahi mahi that was brought aboard a bit green and went completely spastic onboard terrorising us before being subdued with the bat.

post-972-144598580332_thumb.jpg

Trolled for another 45 or so befor a solid run and ended up catching my first decent spanish mackerel. Have only caught one around 80cm or so. This one went 132cm so was pretty happy. From my understanding the Barwons Banks are a bit far out to be a usual haunt for mackerel. Have done a fair bit of trolling there and have only encountered the usual suspects like wahoo.

post-972-144598580338_thumb.jpg

We decided we would try for one last fish and about half an hour later another spaniard obliged. This one going 102cm.

post-972-144598580346_thumb.jpg

Having enough to feed our families and friends and not wanting to be greedy we left the fish biting for an easy run home at full throttle.

All fish were caught on halco crazy deeps trolled at about 12kmh. Interestingly the first three fish were caught on the outfit with lightest line, 8kg while the other outfits had 15kg. Made for a slightly more interesting fight. It wasn't the lure either as I rotated the lures a few times so must have been down to better lure action on the lighter line.

Thanks for all the comments.

Will definitely have a nother crack at it ove the next couple of weeks. Might try running a combination of skirts and minnows next time. Might even run the shotgun skirt on 8kg as well. Would be a serious challenge if we hook up to any kind of billfish.

Thanks for all the comments.

Will definitely have a nother crack at it ove the next couple of weeks. Might try running a combination of skirts and minnows next time. Might even run the shotgun skirt on 8kg as well. Would be a serious challenge if we hook up to any kind of billfish.

Need a helpful deckie willing to pay fuel costs and not complain about sea sickness? :P

Archived