Suburban Cairns croc encounter- wake up call

tiotony

I live in Suburban Cairns and am fortunate to have small freshwater creek next door loaded with jungle perch and unfortunately the dreaded tilapia. Went for a wander along the bank this morning to catch a JP, which took 2 casts in the first pool.

post-6937-144598580453_thumb.jpg

Continued walking down to the second pool and was watching my feet for snakes, but fortunately keeping half an eye out on the water to spot JP's I could sight cast to, as was confronted by a 3m croc about 2m ahead of me.

post-6937-144598580458_thumb.jpg

I think I performed a world record backwards longjump up the bank. I'd say if I hadn't have spotted him in time I wouldn't be writing this right now. Not my first close encounter and it was certainly a wake up call- we tend to get pretty blase up here but Iv'e sworn off going fishing down there by myself ever again!

Sorry for the poor quality shots, only had a rod, bag of gulps, and my phone with me.

When i used to work in and out of weipa 1 of my work mates hit a croc on his push bike and was thrown right over the top of it he and the other fellas with him said it was a big 1 but it got just as much of a scare as did my mate, still not the way you want to stumble upon them early in the morning you would had the heart racing back up on the bank and no need for coffee that day

Yeah Weipa is crazy for crocs. Reported this one to the ranger and even he was surprised a croc that size would come up into such a shallow tiny creek, as you can see from the photo. What scares me is I have waded this knee deep section of creek to get to deeper pools further downstream, but never again!

Should have fired a cast at him to see if he liked 2" gulp shrimp, but the release would have been tricky:S

That is just insane! You are a lucky chap!

After I went to Darwin on a barra trip to the billabong I absolutley am in awe of those cros up your way. So silent, so cunning, so evil, so clever, so scary!

I would rather take a shark on than a croc.....(if I had to!)

definately a fresh pair of jocks needed encounter.

with the recent CQ floods,it will be interesting to hear how far some of the established croc population in Rockhampton`s Fitzroy River have spread out.

There`s definately some large ones in the Fitzroy,occassionaly the odd one or two smaller versions are seen in the town reach area.

I remember seeing a big sucker at goldsborough sunning itself on the sand, told some rangers down the road and the next weekend people were swimming in the exact same spot. I assume they removed the croc but still wasn't game to get in the water myself.

definately a fresh pair of jocks needed encounter.

with the recent CQ floods,it will be interesting to hear how far some of the established croc population in Rockhampton`s Fitzroy River have spread out.

There`s definately some large ones in the Fitzroy,occassionaly the odd one or two smaller versions are seen in the town reach area.

Hey gad your right about the fitzroy river the stockman the handled the cattle in the meet work I worked in,in rockhampton said they had a 16footer living down the back of the meet works on thelocial boat ramp and they used to feet it any calf's that had died though the night.

Archived