I finally out-fished Tacklebox! Palm Reef 4/3/11

kreel

Of course I had to leave tBox at home to do it!

It has been ages since last time I was out with Tugger doing damage to the Mackeral population. Interestingly last time we were at Palm Reef as well.

We were all meeting up with Tugg at his place at 3:30 am, easy for me as it tured out that I could only manage an hour or so sleep. On the way to his place I see that Steve (the other deckie) was also eager to get going. I spotted him along an approach road: a cuppa in one hand and a smoke in the other (breakfast of champions).

We arrived and were launched at Currumbin Creek just before dawn, and I have to say that while a long time has passed since the last time I was aboard it felt very normal to be there. Conditions were over-cast and wet but the water was very calm and the bar was almost no-existent. A short motor out and we were setting baits on Palm Reef. Four or five lines in the water each with the patented Tugger special rig, we spaced 3 unweighted pillies in a line at various lengths from the boat each on a small block of foam veggie-box lid and one or two pillies unwieghted without the foam.

It wouldn't have been fishing if I didn't pick up a Scorpion Cod or two, that being done and we were all set again when one of the furthest baits went off. Tugger very graciously let me take the reins on the first Mack of the day, and it was a great fight. I'm used to using an over-head but this time I was fighting the fish on a 8500 Spinfisher (correct me if I'm wrong Tugg), and what a fight. I often get a bit too excited and tend to muscle the fish in, but this time I played the fish real well (in my estimation at least) and soon had this beauty beside the boat for an expert gaffing by Tugger straight into the fish's shoulder.

post-2889-144598581357_thumb.jpg

Quickly onto the lie-detector and the Spaniard went 111cm no fish-of-the-month for me but a good fish just the same.

post-2889-144598581366_thumb.jpg

About 30 minutes later and just as we started talking about moving to the Gravel Patch another bait went off and the second Spaniard was landed it went around 104 cm and Steve landed this one. I don't know if he was scared of damaging my camera lens but I have no photos of him for the trip.

Being superstitious and a bit simple in the head Tugg and I started talking about the Gravel Patch again in the hope that it would bring on another Mack, no luck there but Tugg did bring in an endangered species, very rare in these waters I'm told.

post-2889-14459858137_thumb.jpg

Followed by a Happy Moment although you'd never tell by the expression on Tugg's face.

post-2889-144598581378_thumb.jpg

There's no pleasing the boy when he has Spaniards in his mind, next fish in was a Spangly at around 43cm just under sized and returned to the water.

post-2889-144598581385_thumb.jpg

Around this time we decided to up-anchor and throw a slug or 2 at a bust up near-by that a few other boaties had decided would be a good spot to motor through WTF. Obviously the bait-ball was broken up pretty well by the time we got to it and we had no luck there. So on to the Gravel patch in hope of some more spanish action.

All morning we had bait jigs dancing around under the boat and absolutely nothing to show for them. We were desperate for a livie or two to increase our chances. But all we could get were a couple of flatties well under-sized including a pair of these tiddlers:

post-2889-144598581391_thumb.jpg

On the Patch and we were visited by the authorities and a pretty pair of ladies they were checking out life-jackets etc. From what they said we were the first boat of the day with the full compliment of safety gear. I have to mention by the way that while we were at Plam reef we saw more than 9 yakkers out there with us and only a few boats.

Nothing much was happening on the Patch so we headed back to Palm Reef in the hope of getting a Spaniard on their second run.Tugg was still to bring in a Spaniard for our hat-trick and his efforts doubled, but alas his next fight was with another Spangly at just over 50cm - Tugg was so disgusted with its lack of Spanish skills that he donated the fillets to Steve and me (very tasty too).

post-2889-144598581398_thumb.jpg

No matter how many times we told him, Tugg couldn't change his spots and continued to catch "the Fish whose name we dare not mention". You can see the disgust in Tugg's face when we reminded him that they are a very special fish and that there are desperately few of them in the ocean and that he will have to put it back where he found it. The Snapp went 52.5 on the lie-detector and would have gone even better in our bellies.

post-2889-144598581405_thumb.jpg

Just after this, our pillies ran out and we had to come in without our 3rd. Still the excitement hadn't finished - on the way in there was another bust up and Tugg and I quickly tied on a slug each and the excitement and sore arms began. We managed a pigeon-pair of Mack Tuna that were swiftly released. Just as quickly as the bust-up began the idiocy of driving straight through the bait ball followed and the ball quickly broke up.

post-2889-144598581412_thumb.jpg

The tally for the day ended up like this, I should post this image of my Spaniard in the FOTM category, its amazing the difference a good angle and a bent fish can make to its length.

post-2889-144598581417_thumb.jpg

The necessary filleting completed all fish were offered the chance to return to the water - none took up the offer.

Dinner:

post-2889-144598581422_thumb.jpg

That's a great mornings fishing guys, there certainly is plenty of fillets on those Macs.

Kreel thanks for noticing the date on my fish entry, i have changed it but i would be more than happy to get another one on the original date i had.cheers wayne

Those pesky snapper, I would have called off the rest of the session as soon as I caught the first one but nice of Tugger to keep them away from your hook! :woohoo:

Beaut spaniard, Kreel.. your arms look a little longer in the following photos.

Mark, how much longer do you reckon mac season will last?

After reading the heading I thought of call the boys in blue to report somthing fishie going on in the house of t/box,with kreel out fishing tacklebox there was somthing wrong with the world. :ohmy: :ohmy: :lol: :lol:

Nice work tugger for helping the old man break his famine.Lovely fish guy's I still kick myself at droping 4 last weekend without even getting them to the boat.

How did you boy's cook the mackrel

how many times do you need to be told!

Tugger handing you the rod after rigging, baiting then setting the hooks does not mean you caught it.

And tell Tugg its illegal to target that rare species for another couple of weeks. Bad skipper, bad, bad skipper! ;)

Next thing they will be telling us how the mackeral are so endangered. Research shows they are only around for a few months then get all fished out and disappear 'til next summer :pinch:

They're so rare that I know very little about them, "Sea Unicorn" you say! Well I wouldn't be surprised.

Damn, I should have kept it to myself and got you on a technicality. :angry:;) :cheer: :cheer:

My uterus was a little tender on Thursday so I took the day off, just to be safe. :blink:

I didn't understand everything you wrote, but thanks for the kind words again Dassa :P :cheer:

how many times do you need to be told! blah, blah, blah

I'm very jealous of the big fish you catch compared to my small tackers blah, blah, blah I am in awe of your fishing prowess

Pussca, you're beginning to sound a bit like Dassa :dry: , again I'm not sure what you were going on about, but thank-you for the kind words. :P :cheer:

another month full on but we'll get the odd mackie hanging around for a few months yet with the water likely to remain warm for a while yet

hope you enjoyed it kreel it looked like you did

Those pesky snapper, I would have called off the rest of the session as soon as I caught the first one but nice of Tugger to keep them away from your hook! :woohoo:

Beaut spaniard, Kreel.. your arms look a little longer in the following photos.

Mark, how much longer do you reckon mac season will last?

Tom those reefies we're hitting my wire rigs on the surface and as i told kreel thats the biggest snapper i've caught on the palm beach reef in over 30yrs fishing that place and i can't keep it grrrrrrr

how many times do you need to be told!

Tugger handing you the rod after rigging, baiting then setting the hooks does not mean you caught it.

And tell Tugg its illegal to target that rare species for another couple of weeks. Bad skipper, bad, bad skipper! ;)

Next thing they will be telling us how the mackeral are so endangered. Research shows they are only around for a few months then get all fished out and disappear 'til next summer :pinch:

You told me your hair hurt on Friday...

Nice mac mate, I'm very surprised you caught one of those rare and endangered blue spotted pink bream. There's none of those left. Weird. You'd better report that catch so you can have that fish properly protected...

And tbox probably still outfished you, while she was at work.

Those rare pink bream must have been hungry to take a floating pillie on wire no wonder they are rare to be so silly

You told me your hair hurt on Friday...

Nice mac mate, I'm very surprised you caught one of those rare and endangered blue spotted pink bream. There's none of those left. Weird. You'd better report that catch so you can have that fish properly protected...

And tbox probably still outfished you, while she was at work.

Archived