Best Spot for Tailor & Steelback in Gold Coast

blue09

Hi all,

After a long break again winter is on the way.

I like to start catching my 2 favorite fishes Steelback Salmon and Tailor.

I recently moved to Gold Coast area. I own a car but I dont want to drive long ways.

Does any of you know any good spot to catch tailor and steelback salmons at Gold Coast areas?

I will appreciate answers.

Cheers.

Attached is a pic of a steelback salmon a bit light in colour(this one is been dead for a while) usually a little more green across the top.

Dont know if there this far south but we caught them in NT.I thought they looked a bit like a tailor with a queenie head LOL.

Mex

post-8825-144598582718_thumb.jpg

Attached is a pic of a steelback salmon a bit light in colour(this one is been dead for a while) usually a little more green across the top.

Dont know if there this far south but we caught them in NT.I thought they looked a bit like a tailor with a queenie head LOL.

Mex

Yep that's a steelie not bad to eat if there bleed and cooked straight away.Taste better than tailor imo, I only use tailor for bait..

Thank you all for replies. I will try the entry of the spit where people park their cars and watch views.

I do not want my feet to be sandy or muddy thats why I always prefer deep water and like to stand on rocks.

I guess that the entrance of the Spit is a nice spot as tailors always like broad and deep entrances. Am I right?

By the way yes there is steelback salmon. It is very similat to tailors only sttel back has smaller head.

I was catching lots lots of steelback salmons at all times at Rosslyn Bay (Yeppoon Area) Rockhampton while I was living there before. I prefer smaller size as that big sized fishes dont taste nice.

Thanks all. I will try the entrance of the Spit and also Southport.

Is May or June good time? I think now it is too early for tailor?

I haven't fished there but a mate sometimes drives down from Cleveland early in the morning and fishes Fingal Beach/Head with plenty of tailor. Fingal is just south of the Tweed - think you need a fishing permit in NSW??

Good luck, hoping to see a picture of a nice big greenback in the months to come.

Kelvin.

Archived