My first surface Jack

PlasticFantastic

Headed to Coomera after work for a quick fish in the yak as the wind was low and the tide was running out. On the water by four and line in by about 4.10 first fish by about 4.11. The local Trev population was out in force with a crap load of small 30ish cm Big Eye Trevally hitting everything that moved including the stickbait as it hit the water, they were that thick at one stage I had two on on lure but dropped them yakside before I could get a photo. Got bored with the smaller Trevs and had a few casts at some pontoons and ended up with a small Jack still on the Sammy 65. Was pretty happy with that as it's my first Jack off the surface. Also found some bigger GT's with one exploding on the lure right on the corner of a pontoon which had me in all sorts at one stage but sorted myself out and landed him sucessfully. Had a few more big follows and huge strikes for no result, amazes me at times how they can hit the lure so hard and miss the hooks but that's fishing I suppose. Also scored a Flathead on a MegaBass ShrimpDrive that was returned.

Will be back down after work tomorrow if the weathers the same to see if they're still around.

Cheers

Mark

post-5191-144598582697_thumb.jpg

Surface Jack on Sammy 65

post-5191-144598582706_thumb.jpg

GT on Sammy 65

post-5191-144598582713_thumb.jpg

Close Up

Was just fishing at the Canal estate on the right heading south over the Coomera on the m1. There's some bigger fish in there and the two entrances that join at the river have been fairly consistent with the Trevs in the arvos. Young Fella you'll have to teach me how to catch the Bream as they always seem to elude me no matter what I try.

Cheers

Mark

No better way to spend an arvo at all. Looks like a fun sesh for sure. healthy looking Jack that to.

On the Bream front...id suggest downgrade all the tackle used to real finesse. 4lb leaders, small stickbaits (walk the dog style)and if you try plastics, very light jig heads (1/24oz and lighter)

Shaun

Congrats on the jack mate! I tried all summer for a jack on a lure especially in the coomera to no avail.

as soon as I tried targeting something different (sharks) I got my first ever jack while just mucking around with another rod! That was on bait tho. So now that I finally got one I will have to set my next goal on getting one on lure. Been a good season for the trevors too.

Archived